SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2009 XC70 T6, Ice White/Sandstone. The previous owner had the Volvo/Garmin hardwired clamshell mount installed (pic below). Apparently, it only works with Garmin 760/765 units. I do not really want to buy a 5-year-old GPS unit to make the mount functional. Plus, I already have a TomTom and my smartphone. I would prefer to remove the mount, but that leaves me with a good size hole on the dash. I have been racking my brain as to how to best remedy said hole and thought I might get some good ideas from the Swedespeed minds. TIA.

Sean Mc

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would probably remove that mount and install one that works with my own GPS, using the existing hard-wiring for power. That probably involves some cutting and splicing for the correct connector, but probably nothing horrible if you are at all handy with that sort of thing. Worst case, any good car audio shop could do it for you.

I guess you could also remove the mount and use one of those round plastic suction cup discs to cover the hole. You might have to use a stronger adhesive than the supplied adhesive disc (epoxy or the like) to make it stick to the dash.

Do you know how big the hole is? Also, what does that thing look like when it is open?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hole looks like it would be about 2" in diameter.

My thought was to remove it, clean up the opening, and fill the opening with a grille - using, say, something like I had in my 04 VR that covered the dash center speaker. The grille would be color-matched to match the grill of the windshield vent. I'd have a shop do the work. Just not sure how it would look ...

Sean Mc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts