SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On May 3rd, I picked up the replacement to my wrecked pewter V70 AWD 'R' conversion. The car is a Black 1998 V70 T5 auto with a blown headgasket and turbo plus a nasty interior. The body is in really great shape which is all I really care about. The car has 217k miles on it. There are a few upgrades that were done to the car at some point. It has an IPD tcv, hid's, IPD rear load springs, k&n air filter, and upgraded plug wires.

I plan to use the R motor that I had in the other car (I know it's the same as the T5) plus all the upgrades I had done. I also plan to use my charcoal R interior that's in mint condition. I have an R bumper that's already black that I never got around to repainting and installing on the AWD car.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Wow you werent kidding that interior is trashed! That takes effort. Toss the IPD TCV, the hids and the K&N. You want a 30670449 tcv (from p2R/t5's), paper filter and light wise e codes/jewels/projectors but anything other than HIDs in DOT housings.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I plan to use the entire front subframe assembly from my other car. It is an AWD so it has 4 bolt control arms. I replaced the control arms less than a year ago with Volvo brand arms. I also put new tie rods sway bar end links, and wheel bearings on at the same time. I have 302 front brakes (needs new rotors and pads). I have a Snabb RIP kit and fresh air pipe as well as all silicone tubing. I'll probably use the transmission out of the T5, it looks good but it is over due for a fluid change. I have 218k on the motor and have new timing belt and pcv that I purchased planning to do in the next few weeks. I'll take care of it once the motor is pulled.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow you werent kidding that interior is trashed! That takes effort. Toss the IPD TCV, the hids and the K&N. You want a 30670449 tcv (from p2R/t5's), paper filter and light wise e codes/jewels/projectors but anything other than HIDs in DOT housings.
The interior actually looks worse in person if that's possible. The dash is covered with coke or something. The first thing I did was spray everything with lysol.

I don't plan to use the IPD TCV, I have the Pierburg 7.22908.03.0 TCV on my other that I was planning to use. I'll also be using the AMB projectors with HIDs that I already have.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Swap the rack and the subframe will swap just fine. AWD doesnt have the provision for the rear hydraulic motor mount.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through the car today. It's mechanically better than I thought. No check engine lights, no tranny lights, a few abs lights, and one ecc light. Windows and sunroof work good. Passenger mirror motor is broken, both front lock actuators are not unlocking, and interior light switches are broken.

I'll use the pressure switch and wheel sensor from the other car.

I'll pull the damper motors from the other car to fix this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured I should go ahead and replace the subframe bushings on the car while I have it out. I have a set of iPD inserts new in box that I never got around to installing.

Should I use the iPD inserts with new XC90 bushings?
Or should I get a set of Delrin subframe bushings?

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
I figured I should go ahead and replace the subframe bushings on the car while I have it out. I have a set of iPD inserts new in box that I never got around to installing.

Should I use the iPD inserts with new XC90 bushings?
Or should I get a set of Delrin subframe bushings?
Delrin. Don’t bother with anything else.

It’s possibly the best bang for the buck p80 chassis mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Delrin. Don’t bother with anything else.

It’s possibly the best bang for the buck p80 chassis mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I will do than, thanks.

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
welcome to the land of FWD goodness. :thumbup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
welcome to the land of FWD goodness. :thumbup:
This is my first "fun" FWD car. I has an '87 Ford Taurus wagon in high school and my wife drives an '03 Saturn L200. The Saturn is the most reliable car I've ever driven but also one of the slowest.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made good progress on the interior tear down.

I moved the cars around so I can finish up the tear down. I'm going to really dive into the two cars this weekend. I have two Harbor Freight tranny jacks on order (couldn't find any locally) to use to remove the subframes from under the cars. I'm planning to make my big order to FCP in the next couple of days, I'm trying to make sure I have a complete list.

I was able to find someone who could use the door panels and I sold the rear facing seat.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to be installing the Meteor rims off my R onto this car. I need to repaint the wheels because they were scratched in the accident.

Should I paint them hypersilver or metallic gunmetal gray?

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
I'm going to be installing the Meteor rims off my R onto this car. I need to repaint the wheels because they were scratched in the accident.

Should I paint them hypersilver or metallic gunmetal gray?
I would paint them silver unless you want this to look blacked out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Agreed, hyper silver really pops against a black car

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
If the scratches aren’t deep, you could always use Plasti Dip to try out the gray and decide that way.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts