SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed crusty white fluid leaking from the center of the rear axle. What's going on and will this be expensive? Should I make an appt. ASAP? Car is a V50 T5 AWD 2005 with 93k.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've only seen it after it has dried and it looks like salt - white and crusty. There's also the same white crust around the rear gear seal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My initial guess, if your rear carrier is aluminum, is that it's corroding. Aluminum corrosion looks like white crusty salt. If it were diff fluid, it would leave a dark oily stain on the housing. The protective coating may be wearing off.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took a closer look this morning and believe it or not, it looks like it is simply condensation from the hot parts of the car. I'm in coastal CT where it has been really humid so I'm chalking the salty taste to the humid coastal air. I also noticed a few other places on the under carriage where it's dripping the same salty clear liquid so I'm not too worried anymore. Weird.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, the reason it was salty is, because aluminiumhydroxide is a "salt". It will therefore taste salty.

The white dots are the mentioned AlOH³ which is normal, as aluminium will try to cover itself with a layer of white oxide to protect itself. That is why you shouldn't over do it with engine cleaning, as you destroy the protective layer. All aluminium products do this. Compared to rust, it is the healthier way ;)

Don't worry about it. My engine is covered in these white dots already (tastes salty too)...

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Steer clear of tasting white salty discharges from your vehicle :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts