SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks.

So I get in the car this morning and I notice it starts a little harder than normal. (It usually never skips a beat, this morning it stumbled just slightly). No big deal but then...

I notice the gauges aren't working. The only light on the dash is "Check Engine".

So I shut it off, turn the key to run and the gauge cluster comes alive as usual, so I start the car, put it in R and about halfway down my driveway, the gauges go again.

I'm running late for work so I forge ahead without the gauges and notice some other funny stuff... blinkers don't work, AC won't blow cold, trans is shifting weird (pulling away from a stop is sluggish), the steering is lighter too.

I've since shut down/started the car half a dozen times and it's the same: gauges come on briefly then shortly after starting, they shut down along with everything else.

I'm going to pull the battery cable when I get home from work and also see if I can get my scanner on... but in the meantime, anyone experience anything similar?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Howdy folks.

So I get in the car this morning and I notice it starts a little harder than normal. (It usually never skips a beat, this morning it stumbled just slightly). No big deal but then...

I notice the gauges aren't working. The only light on the dash is "Check Engine".

So I shut it off, turn the key to run and the gauge cluster comes alive as usual, so I start the car, put it in R and about halfway down my driveway, the gauges go again.

I'm running late for work so I forge ahead without the gauges and notice some other funny stuff... blinkers don't work, AC won't blow cold, trans is shifting weird (pulling away from a stop is sluggish), the steering is lighter too.

I've since shut down/started the car half a dozen times and it's the same: gauges come on briefly then shortly after starting, they shut down along with everything else.

I'm going to pull the battery cable when I get home from work and also see if I can get my scanner on... but in the meantime, anyone experience anything similar?
I can't help you with how to fix it, but that sounds like your CEM might be going- did you lose power windows or the sunroof?

Pull the CEM fuse, wait a moment, put it back in. CEM resets and stuff works again. It's worth a shot- something similar happened to me and I was able to fix the symptoms by pulling the CEM fuse. Doesn't address the cause but it can work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response... Sunroof and windows still work.

I'll try the fuse pull first (I can do that in the parking lot before I leave ;) )

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
FIRST thing you'll want to do is have a deep battery check, and a super look at the alternator.
Mine did this on the road once, and it was 105 degrees: Everything lit up all at once, and then systems started shutting down. NOTHING was working, and then it began to get hot - I stopped immediately and threw the hood open.
Turned out it was the alternator, and heat killed it finally. Has yours ever been replaced? Cost me a grand.
Thanks for the response... Sunroof and windows still work.
I'll try the fuse pull first (I can do that in the parking lot before I leave ;) )

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alternator? I have no idea. I bought it used and have only put about 10K miles on it.

I'll have it tested. The battery is newer (under 2 years) but if the alternator is toast, who knows what state the battery is in.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My vote is alternator too.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulling the CEM fuse sorted it out for now.

It's about 100F in the shade today and I did notice the blower fan was slowing down when I come to a stop and the engine is idling.

So the alternator (or voltage regulator) is probably on its way out.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
FIRST thing you'll want to do is have a deep battery check, and a super look at the alternator.
Turned out it was the alternator, and heat killed it finally. Has yours ever been replaced? Cost me a grand.
W....T.....F!? A grand for an alternator. And it’s probably a pain in the ass to replace too huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts