SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Edmunds now has its test of the new G37S up. I have been dying to get a good glimpse of the thing, especially, with the top up for a long time. It's 0-60 is around a full 1.5 seconds faster than the C70 (I suppose expecting anything other than the I5 was totally unrealistic), but one thing to me is quite obvious. The G37 is almost completely devoid of style. The flowing roofline is gone (a necessity for the convertible I guess), and the bulbous rear end now really becomes obvious, giving the whole pacakge the look of an upmarket Solara.<p>I've tested a G37 coupe and know the seats give Volvo's a run, and the dashboard experience totally blows the C70s "Swedish minimalist" totally out of the water. But the interior and trunk room apparently is non existent.<p>Getting the edge on styling, safety and room is great. But I do wonder why couldn't Volvo offer an "R" or a "Special Edition" model that retunes the ECU, beefs up the sway bar, and upgrades the suspension, brakes and rubber. It wouldn't make up the 1.5 seconds, but it would make the C70 a whole lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Re: G37 is Fast, But (iharry)

Two+ years ago, when I was looking at convertibles (and when I bought our C70), I had thought that Infiniti was really missing the boat by not having a G37 (or G35, earlier) convertible.<p>I like the photos I've seen of the car, although I don't think any of them have had the top up. I believe it is a three-piece roof, but don't really have a good idea as to the lines.<p>With the top down, the car looks pretty good to me, and the interior is certainly warmer/lusher than a C70, although I also like the understated Swedish approach.<p>Hard to tell about rear seat and trunk room, just from a photo.<p>I also haven't seen pricing, but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up a few $k higher than the C70. (Perhaps comparable to the smaller-engine BMW 3-series convertible.) (I looked on Edmunds, but all I saw was the sedan and couple. I probably didn't look hard enough.)<p>I was never really tempted by the BMW (which I would have had to wait a bit for), as I never thought the extra money for it was justified (although the 300hp version would have been fun). If the Audi A4 Cab. had come with a hard-top, that would have maybe been my pick - but it didn't (and still doesn't). I thought briefly about the VW Eos, but am glad I didn't go that direction. It's just a bit too "cute", and apparently roof leaks are not uncommon.<p>

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I saw a very red G37 last week. My first impression is that it was tiny, more like the VW Eos than the C70, and very plastic-looking in overall appearance. The base sticker price was $39K+, and with two nice option packages, the MSRP was $46K+, which puts it pretty much in the same price ballpark as the C70. I can't imagine that Infiniti is offering a $4.5 discount off invoice like Volvo is presently doing. I much prefer the C70's understated elegance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: G37 is Fast, But (BlackC70)

Check out Edmunds test photos. You'll see that with the top up look the convertible looks little like the coupe. Presumably at least it has the the headroom with the top up that the coupe is missing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts