SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another thread but I'll leave it here as well in case anybody is interested.

I ordered the fyralip Coda trunk lip from eBay.
Shipping was fast, I had it in 4 days and they paint it in any color you want. You just give them your cars color code. Quality is very good and paint is an exact match. There is slight difference in shade because of the material which is like the difference in color between your bumper and the hood. It comes with 3m tape already applied.

The lip needs to bend forward on the ends to make it follow the lines of the trunk which is the hardest part of the install. More than 2 hands is definitely a must.
The biggest negative for me is that the edges are not an exact match to the lines of our car but you only notice this if your nose is right on top of it. Looking at the car as a whole it looks great.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fyralip-Coda-...e-pre-facelift-06-09-/291519337809?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
looks great. and $40 for a custom colored one. that's amazing

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great! I had the same spoiler cut to a custom length for a roof spoiler on my S40 as well.
I saw your posts about it. I was going to ask you if you know how much heat can be applied since yours was unpainted. I saw some videos where they bent PU after heating it with a heat gun. I heated it a little bit but I was worried about the paint so I did the best I could but the ends are still to straight where they should have bended more.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks great. and $40 for a custom colored one. that's amazing
Thanks. Indeed it's a great price. They will refund you $6 if you want it unpainted. Incredible how they can paint it in any color for $6! The oem one is about $100 unpainted...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sweet, looks like it should have been designed that way. Thanks. So many things we can do to make these cars cooler. May need to buy one before they go away.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I got the cheapie primered factory one ... from Tasca I think ... and painted it flat silver to match my emblems ... I did not like the way the ends of the 40 dollar job mismatched at the outboard decklid seam to the quarter, then painted the grill surround in the front to offset all the flat silver at the rear. The satin mirror covers are a Volvo accessory. I think it looks nice on mine because the silver is not a huge contrast to the Celestial Blue body color.

Before emblems:

After emblems:

Grille and Mirror Caps:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
looks great. i just ordered one! haven't done too many purely cosmetic things (like to think bigger rims or even tint has some function)... maybe some downward force with the lip? :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the cheapie primered factory one ... from Tasca I think ... and painted it flat silver to match my emblems ... I did not like the way the ends of the 40 dollar job mismatched at the outboard decklid seam to the quarter
I fully agree but for $45 I was willing to risk it. Now it's just a matter of time before the perfectionist in me can't deal with the misalignment anymore and rips it off. Unpainted oem is double the price though and I don't like the way it's a "flat" spoiler. It hardly has an upstanding lip does it? Can you take an upclose picture? I might actually like something slightly larger but so that it's still subtle.

I love the way your color combinations looks. My next (short term) projects for the exterior are 19" wheels, lowered suspension, sport cat back. First up is a sport steering wheel though. After all that I'll start looking at more powah!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Lol, yes, I ordered one of those 45 dollar jobs too. Strangely it would have made a perfect roof spoiler at the top edge of the rear glass ... even the end angles matched :) .

Yeah, the OEM is very "flat" and that was part of the reason I chose a contrasting color. I am not aware of any alternatives unless you get something custom made. What is it you are looking for a closeup shot of? Those pics up there are pretty big ;) .

The sport wheel for me was the result of a very long EBay search. Because the black would have looked strange in my interior I had to find one off of a crashed car to get the aluminum insert ... only made in 2006 and 2007 then again I think in later cars. I think it was Erie Volvo who finally came up with one. I was really happy to get rid of the 2008 )OEM. One of the big disappointments when I took delivery of the car. I had to upgrade the shift knob too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The search for perfection continues... You confirmed what I thought I saw in the pics, that it's flat, which might be a little too subtle for me. If I can't find a perfect aftermarket one, eventually I'll probably end up with the oem one though.

I have also quoted the steering wheel with some salvage yards but the price difference wasn't that big with a new one which is $217 at Tasca.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, I am sure it will add .0000000000001 of downforce .... but not nearly as much horsepower as a moose sticker :p .
According to Volvo, the OEM factory spoiler lip adds 50 N (Newton-meters) of downforce at 100 km/h (37 foot-pounds at 62 mph).
you could add 37 pound sack to the trunk, but it wouldn't look as nice :)
all kidding aside, that is a nice lip and a much cheaper alternative than the OEM one. At one point pre-painted Volvo ones were available on eBay, but cost $300+. Not sure if any pre-painted ones are still available, but the primed version can still be purchased.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The search for perfection continues... You confirmed what I thought I saw in the pics, that it's flat, which might be a little too subtle for me. If I can't find a perfect aftermarket one, eventually I'll probably end up with the oem one though.

I have also quoted the steering wheel with some salvage yards but the price difference wasn't that big with a new one which is $217 at Tasca

That is the Tasca price for the black one. The Umbra color which I believe mine is called, is well over 400USD if purchased new.

Yes, the painted OEM lips are outrageous ... with different prices for different colors .... just gouging.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is the Tasca price for the black one. The Umbra color which I believe mine is called, is well over 400USD if purchased.
Interesting fact about the charcoal steering wheel. The one with the r-design badge is $217, and the same one but without the badge is $420. Spoke to Tasca and that's the way it is. I guess I'll be ordering the r-design one...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
got mine, nicely packed in a thin tube and very quick turnaround/delivery. i gave it a few bends by hand to create some curvature since it was pretty straight out of the box. my install's about the same as socal70 with slightly misaligned ends and tiny little gap in the middle. but really un-noticeable unless you look really closely, especially on my black car.

i like it. nice subtle sporty touch, very OEM. thanks socal70 for sharing the find!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts