SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting how many bay area owners here. My closest dealers are Palo Alto and San Jose both are sub par in their own ways. Last car I ordered from Santa Rosa, this time i'm trying roadster and getting the car delivered to my house and not dealing with the dealers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The Bay Area has always been a hotbed of Volvo activity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started with the Fresno dealer to inquire about the XC90 and had a bad experience and ended up going with Walnut Creek because they seemed really experience with OSD which I just came back from in February and they did a great job of getting me set up for that. Will definitely use William Mark's from Lawrence Volvo next time as well.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Great posts. I can add that with MarineTraffc and possibly others, you can even check the actual and/or forecast winds. This is not for the light-hearted particularly if there are major weather systems moving across (e.g., the Atlantic). My ship's original planned route changed (I think) where it left Liverpool, and went northerly around Scotland on its way to Halifax. The winds were "gale force"in places which was making me cringe. The high seas also resulted in the journey being delayed a couple of days. Being an aircraft pilot, I cannot help myself from watching the weather.

Anyway, I too wish everyone "calm seas".

·
Registered
478 Posts
Several years ago there was a transport ship carrying mostly Volvos that went down in the English Channel, although it was a collision, and not weather to blame, IIRC. I can't imagine how much that would suck if you were tracking progress and it went to a watery grave.

Here's to clear sailing, everybody.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Yes, it was the Tricolor disaster. You can Google about it. Interesting pictures.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, it was the Tricolor disaster. You can Google about it. Interesting pictures.
Wow. INSANE. Nuts. And yeah, it's the exact same route our cars will be taking: from Zeegrube to Southampton before crossing the Atlantic!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a call today from my shipping broker that my car cleared customs and volvo can pick it up from the port. On the tracking Web site it says "delivered from." Does this mean it is on its way to the dealer from the port or just that customs at the port has released it?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The vessel that is carrying my car has been out of range for 8 hours. It is currently crossing the Atlantic. Is it normal to be out of range. It hasn't happened before this, so slightly concerned maybe something happened to the ship?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The vessel that is carrying my car has been out of range for 8 hours. It is currently crossing the Atlantic. Is it normal to be out of range. It hasn't happened before this, so slightly concerned maybe something happened to the ship?
Haha I wouldn't worry; I think this is normal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Haha. I refresh every hour or so. It does look like when it is crossing deep clean it does not send it location. So this is definitely normal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Car hits the port early Monday morning. Good news is that it has already been marked as customs release and liner release. Has anyone else had these status updates before car officially reaches port?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Car hits the port early Monday morning. Good news is that it has already been marked as customs release and liner release. Has anyone else had these status updates before car officially reaches port?
That happened to my car as well. I have a friend who works for customs and he says that it's pretty common.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I finally received my car on Thursday, unfortunately from when it hit port until it was in my possession was 18 days ?

·
Registered
566 Posts
That happened to my car as well. I have a friend who works for customs and he says that it's pretty common.
Great. Thanks.

I finally received my car on Thursday, unfortunately from when it hit port until it was in my possession was 18 days ?
wow..that is a long time..I think the vehicle transporting cars has to be full before it leaves the port..so this can vary greatly. I hope I don't have to wait that long!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Made it to the port and officially discharged..now just waiting to get on carrier and be delivered to retailer..should hopefully be within 7 days.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
nice!! :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just to get an idea, how long does it take approx. once it's built to arrive in Toronto or any other Canadian city ??

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just to get an idea, how long does it take approx. once it's built to arrive in Toronto or any other Canadian city ??
Once it boards the ship, it took 12-13 days to get from Gothenburg to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts