SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys n girls:

You've all been so helpful, I thought I'd add to the incredibly helpful and famous post that we all use once our cars are loaded on the ship in Gothenburg.

What this tip is about, and who it's for

Once your car rolls off the assembly line, it then makes its way (in a couple days) to the shipyard at Gothenburg. There are two status updates: booked and received at terminal. There's just a few days between these events.

However, there won't be any more updates until a day or two before the ship is ready to set sail, and this takes about a week from the last update (at least it did for me, and for several others I've spoken with).

Obviously, it's frustrating not to know what's going on, so here's how you can learn everything about your car's upcoming journey across the seas. :)

What you need

If you've gotten this far, you already have your VIN. If not, get it. Now, ask your dealer (or, if on the west coast of the US, ask GrecianVolvo) for your ETA in port.

What you do

1. Go to the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics Schedules page

2. Enter Gothenburg for the departure city and your arrival port for the arrival city; also, enter your ETA in port date. You can leave the departure date as today's date. If for some reason this doesn't work, try bumping up the departure date a few days.

NOTE: the system seems to know which boat you're on as long as you select dates within several days of the true departure / arrival dates. If for some reason you're not getting results, just play with the days a little bit.

3. Click Search Routes.

4. On the left, you'll see your full itinerary, not unlike a flight itinerary. It will show you the start and end points of each leg of the journey, as well as the ship name, ports of call, and of course the departure and arrival dates (but curiously, no times). EDIT: be sure to copy the vessel number as it's the only truly unique identifier (searching based on name can produce multiple results).

5. On the right, you'll see the map of the Earth, with numbers corresponding to the various ports of call.

6. Now, click on the LIST or TIMELINE links at top-center of the map to see a specific breakdown of your car's journey. Very cool.

7. But wait, there's one more critical step: curiously, even the breakdown in Step 6 above does not show every stop on the way. I.e., even if it says something like "Departure: Southampton, Arrival: Port Hueneme," look closer, next to the WW logo, see that little "X ports of call" label? (For me, it says "4 ports of call.") Right. So, the departure and final terminal of your shipment count as 1 port of call each. So that means you have X-2 more en route; in my case, 2. Now, to figure out what these stops are, click the SHIP ROUTE NUMBER which should read something like CD612-ELX. This will show you information on the ship like where its home country is and, crucially, if you look at the map, every stop along its upcoming itinerary. Now click on LIST or TIMELINE as before, and you'll finally see the breakdown of the intermediate stop along the itinerary.

And there you have it!

Awesome! Now what?

Right, so now you have all the details of your shipping itinerary. Within a few more days, the original WW Logistics tracking site should update to reflect the information you found above. Now go to either VesselFinder.com or (better yet) MarineTraffic.com to look up your ships and track them, in real time! Remeber: use your ship number and not the vessel name to make it easier to find your exact ship.

PRO TIP: check out this page to get an alphabetical list of all ships in the WW fleet and their numerical identifiers. When copying the number code, only copy the numbers into the ship trackers; do not include any letters.

MarineTraffic is especially cool because, like FlightAware which shows airspeed and altitude, MarineTracker shows speed and draft (draught) of the ship. Very cool. EDIT: how to do this is not immediately obvious. First, click on your ship on the map if it's not yet selected. Then click vessel details. Then you'll see the tracking info with detailed information.

So what's the itinerary for our shipment?

Gothenburg --> Zeebrugge on the Tiger (24-26 March)

Zeebrugge --> Port Hueneme (via Southampton and Manzanillo, Panama Canal) on the Elektra (2-26 April)

Who's sailing over with us?! :)

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Great work! I miss being able to track my car. Of course the upside to not being able to track is that I get to pick it up in the next week, so there's that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Excellent post! Thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NP! You're welcome! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
CBM did your car just get into port? Mine arrived in Port Hueneme this last Saturday but I haven't seen any updates on when it will be sent to my dealer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
CBM did your car just get into port? Mine arrived in Port Hueneme this last Saturday but I haven't seen any updates on when it will be sent to my dealer.
It landed on 3/14. It takes about a week to get put on a transport and delivered to the dealer. The dealer then needs a couple days to prep it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It landed on 3/14. It takes about a week to get put on a transport and delivered to the dealer. The dealer then needs a couple days to prep it.
I mean it depends how far your dealer is from the port, obviously. For us -- SF Bay Area -- I'm assuming it should definitely take less than 1 week from Port Hueneme. One of you I recall was in TX, for which yeah, I agree on 1 week.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I mean it depends how far your dealer is from the port, obviously. For us -- SF Bay Area -- I'm assuming it should definitely take less than 1 week from Port Hueneme. One of you I recall was in TX, for which yeah, I agree on 1 week.
I'm just guessing here, but I think that when a ship full of cars arrives at port there is a several day process of getting them out of transport mode, updating software, adding port-installed accessories, sorting them into batches to go on transports, and getting them loaded. This delay happens whether or not your car is getting any port-installed accessories. Yeah it's only a day's drive from Port Hueneme to the Bay Area, but there's a fair amount of overhead before that can happen.

My dealer is a little uncertain when my car is showing up. This week for sure, but as of yesterday afternoon, they hadn't seen it. The dealer needs a could days prep, as well. I don't mean to make you nervous, but your timetable is really tight. In your shoes, I would be calling my dealer regularly, stressing my schedule.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just guessing here, but I think that when a ship full of cars arrives at port there is a several day process of getting them out of transport mode, updating software, adding port-installed accessories, sorting them into batches to go on transports, and getting them loaded. This delay happens whether or not your car is getting any port-installed accessories. Yeah it's only a day's drive from Port Hueneme to the Bay Area, but there's a fair amount of overhead before that can happen.

My dealer is a little uncertain when my car is showing up. This week for sure, but as of yesterday afternoon, they hadn't seen it. The dealer needs a could days prep, as well. I don't mean to make you nervous, but your timetable is really tight. In your shoes, I would be calling my dealer regularly, stressing my schedule.
Agreed. As I've posted elsewhere, our port arrival is April 26 ... and we need to have it by 6pm on May 16th. :) So yeah, it's definitely going to be close!!

·
Registered
31 Posts

My dealer is also in the Bay Area. I got ahold of them yesterday and they said they have a few cars there waiting to be picked up but don't know any time table.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealer is also in the Bay Area. I got ahold of them yesterday and they said they have a few cars there waiting to be picked up but don't know any time table.
Ugh. Annoying. OK then let's just all keep each other posted.

I can't remember: any of you with Burlingame? I think one of you, maybe?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just got the call! I get to pick up my T8 tomorrow, any time after 3:00pm, which in my case will be right around 3:01pm.

For those counting, this is exactly ten days from Glorious Leader docking at Port Hueneme. Pretty much right on schedule from the date range given me when I ordered way back in November.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got the call! I get to pick up my T8 tomorrow, any time after 3:00pm, which in my case will be right around 3:01pm.

For those counting, this is exactly ten days from Glorious Leader docking at Port Hueneme. Pretty much right on schedule from the date range given me when I ordered way back in November.
WOOHOO!! Congrats dude, that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Which dealer is this again? Regardless, since you're in the bay area too, they should all be the same. So let's see... if we're 10 days too... that means ... April 26 + 10 = Friday, May 6!! That would get it to us a full week before we need to have it! Man, talk about incredible timing... and 1 week margin for error, this is so awesome!! :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
WOOHOO!! Congrats dude, that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Which dealer is this again? Regardless, since you're in the bay area too, they should all be the same. So let's see... if we're 10 days too... that means ... April 26 + 10 = Friday, May 6!! That would get it to us a full week before we need to have it! Man, talk about incredible timing... and 1 week margin for error, this is so awesome!! :)
Thanks. I'm using Lawrence Volvo, in Walnut Creek. They weren't the closest to me, but they seemed to be be about the best of the ones I've been to.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks. I'm using Lawrence Volvo, in Walnut Creek. They weren't the closest to me, but they seemed to be be about the best of the ones I've been to.
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used Lawrence Volvo also. Great dealer. I called the shipping broker on Thursday and they told me that my car got pulled for inspection so it is being held a little longer than expected. Then she told me that Customs takes Good Friday off and the weekends off. She said it should be released sometime next week. :persevere:

·
Registered
31 Posts

Mine should have been on the same truck as yours if I didn't get pulled for inspection. How long did it take Lawrence Volvo to prepare your car for you once they got it?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine should have been on the same truck as yours if I didn't get pulled for inspection. How long did it take Lawrence Volvo to prepare your car for you once they got it?
We're you on Glorious Leader? (In port on 3/14/16). It took ten days from port to pickup. I'm not sure when it got to Lawrence, but they said that it usually takes a couple days to go over it and make sure that all the latest and greatest SW is loaded.

My guy at Lawrence called me today (while I was driving, natch) to check that everything was all right, and to ask me if I had any questions or needed any other help. They seem to be a very solid dealership. It's been a totally painless transaction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No it was on the 19th so I guess it is probly on schedule. The shipping broker just sounded like it should have been through customs already.

·
Registered
478 Posts
One thing I thought curious, is that my car seemed to have cleared customs couple days out, while it was en route between the Panama Canal and Port Hueneme. I have a friend who works for US customs and he said that sometimes a big ship of cars like this will just get it's manifest looked over and cleared based on that.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts