SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it's pretty clear now that my V70R is operating in FWD only. Ugh.

I drove it with the reduced DSTC in Advanced mode and hammered the throttle. It was a handful, front wheels spinning and making lots of noise. I was not feeling any love (or help) from the rear axle. Torque steer galore.

I got under the car after and saw that the angle gear appears to be weeping, as they say. It could be the transmission or perhaps a seal between the two. Not too schooled in these things, which is why I am here. :)

With the front up on jack stands, I was able to freely spin the driveshaft (prop shaft) to the rear diff with my bare hand.

Any pointers on how to determine what the causes might be? Obviously, the collar/sleeve comes to mind, but is there a way to determine if that is indeed the problem or if it is, more seriously, the angle gear? Or the Haldex? Or the rear diff?

And, as far as the sleeve goes, it is mounted inside the transmission where it meets the angle gear, correct or no?

Thoughts and experiences welcome.

--Not so Sweet Swede at this point. Well, not the car, anyway.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
put it on a lift, start the car, put it in gear. If the prop shaft doesn't spin it's most likely a stripped collar gear.

My angle gear leaks too fyi, but its at such a slow pace that i don't want to tamper with it and possibly make it worse, as long as it has fluid in it you don't have to worry about the angle gear exploding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put it on a lift, start the car, put it in gear. If the prop shaft doesn't spin it's most likely a stripped collar gear.
That's what I figured. I have a lift I can probably weasel my way onto tomorrow after work. If not, there is someone else I can check with. Sort of figured it was coming to this.

My angle gear leaks too fyi, but its at such a slow pace that i don't want to tamper with it and possibly make it worse, as long as it has fluid in it you don't have to worry about the angle gear exploding.
Well, I was going to write the same, since it really seems to be a small leak. However, I did just put some Volvo Angle Gear juice in my cart over at IPD. :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
That's what I figured. I have a lift I can probably weasel my way onto tomorrow after work. If not, there is someone else I can check with. Sort of figured it was coming to this.

Well, I was going to write the same, since it really seems to be a small leak. However, I did just put some Volvo Angle Gear juice in my cart over at IPD. :)
Yeah best to keep it topped up, I check mine about every few months and so far haven't had to put any in. Some people on here get them re-sealed and then they sometimes leak even worse in a year or so!

·
Registered
42 Posts
can anyone share what they paid to have their sleeve replaced? i'm about to have this done and i'm not looking to get taken for a ride.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
R.Photo, thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of welding it.

Where is your mechanic? I am on southern Vermont.
My mechanic is in Starksboro/Bristol. He used to work at Almartins before starting his own shop. His email is [email protected]. I would highly suggest the welding, and now that he's done it a few times he's probably even quicker. His name is Ray, and tell him you're looking for the angle gear welded, recommended by Zack.

Cheers.

Also, next Ben & Jerry's R meet you should definitely come!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My mechanic is in Starksboro/Bristol. He used to work at Almartins before starting his own shop. His email is [email protected]. I would highly suggest the welding, and now that he's done it a few times he's probably even quicker. His name is Ray, and tell him you're looking for the angle gear welded, recommended by Zack.

Cheers.

Also, next Ben & Jerry's R meet you should definitely come!
Zack, thanks a bunch. I will reach out to him. Does his shop specialize in Volvos?

How long ago did you have it welded? Did you need a new collar or was it simple enough to weld the old one?

I know, I know. Lots of questions.

A Ben & Jerry's R meet? You're on!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can anyone share what they paid to have their sleeve replaced? i'm about to have this done and i'm not looking to get taken for a ride.
Well, it looks like I am about to have this done as well. I kind of want to try to replace it myself, but time, space and the need to have the car mobile as a daily driver sort of prohibits that from happening. I will contact Zack's mechanic ASAP and let you know what he says.

Also, I am hoping that this is just the collar and nothing more nefarious/expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts