SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have decided on a V50 T5. this will replace our land rover discovery. i have just a couple of questions, and yes i've read up on the previous 6 pages.

i would really like navigation - but no T5 in the area has one in stock.
1) is one able to retrofit the navi?
2) is one able to retrofit the navi on a non-premium sound system? and
3) are the HIDs a factory only option? can they be retrofitted?

yes, i know -- why not order a T5 with exactly what I want? um, because the dealer is discounting this particular V50 by around $6000

thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: future V50 owner (avus)

It'll probably costs 6k to install what you want after buying the car - and that's if you could - installing nav after the car build is almost impossible I believe.

·
Registered
395 Posts

V50 with Nav are rare. I ordered mine, none in the US available. The factory Nav unit is probably hard to come by along with labor, harnesses, etc.. I would say if you have your heart set on this car, buy an aftermarket Nav unit.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: future V50 owner (Marmoset)

Quote, originally posted by Marmoset »
It'll probably costs 6k to install what you want after buying the car - and that's if you could - installing nav after the car build is almost impossible I believe.

Not so. It can be done, but you are correct on the cost: it is enormously expensive, and would eat up most of the discount the OP is getting on the V50 in question.

Aftermarket HIDs can be fitted. A person or two here on the forum has done so.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: future V50 owner (mullmann)

Quote, originally posted by mullmann »

Aftermarket HIDs can be fitted. A person or two here on the forum has done so.

While I agree with you that aftermarket HIDs have been fitted by some here, it's important to note that the Volvo Bi-Xenons have not (as far as I know) been retrofitted after delivery - I read the OP's question to be related to the proper Volvo lights (I may be wrong of course).

UKMatt

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: future V50 owner (mullmann)

The Volvo website has recently had a major facelift, but I seem to recall the Navigation being available as an accessory but at a price ridiculously higher than a factory installed unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread, but what about Heated seats and Auto dimming rear view mirror (I tried getting the latter done in Baton Rouge but folks here don't know what an auto dimming rear view mirror is
).
My dealership told me that the car is not wired for those so you can't get them?
Another quick question....do you know if the volvo bluetooth displays incoming calls on the radio or how do you know who's calling? I couldn't find that info anywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts

If you want Volvo's navigation system or bi-xenon lights, you need to get the car from the factory that way. Take the $6000 and get a Tomtom.
The larger Volvos offer nav as a $3500 dealer accessory.

Or special-order your car and get in a trip to Sweden! Check out the overseas delivery forum. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif That doesn't work so well if you want the instant gratification though.

As far as the auto-dimming mirror, that seems more reasonable than heated seats, but I don't see either one listed on the web site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, turns out a friend of a friend works at the part counter of a local Volvo dealership...
here's what i found out:
1) it's true, it would be too expensive to retro-fit the navi. one needs a new dash, center speaker, and navigation system. the installation part is pure plug and play. but the parts cost is was makes it
NOTE: this retro-fit will not work, however, with the base stereo system.
2) the factory HIDs can be retro-fitted. you can't use the stock headlights -- just need to purchase new headlights with projectors, the ballasts and bulbs.
3) asked about the auto dimming rearview mirror -- he wasn't sure if it is already prewired up there, but said that the rain sensing feature would not work in the retrofit - just the dimming.

got all that? hehehe

anyways...
anyone have any experience with the Alpine Blackbird portable navi unit?
http://www.blackbirdnav.com/

Modified by avus at 1:58 AM 4-28-2006

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: (Imtheweezel)

Quote, originally posted by Imtheweezel »

Another quick question....do you know if the volvo bluetooth displays incoming calls on the radio or how do you know who's calling? I couldn't find that info anywhere. Thanks

It tells you the number that is calling over the radio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts