SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
First things I noticed is manual transmission, no sun roof , no head light wipers (not winter package)., euro side
markers. The one thing I didn't see to well, the tag on the lower right of the back with would give you another idea of the features.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Seats are totally trashed
That's about all I can see with those AWFUL pictures.
Not sure if it's a 2.5, probably a 2.4.
I don't think Volvo made a 2.5 non turbo

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
European market cars were often marked as 2,5 if they were the 168hp NA model.

Either you are located outside of the U.S. or someone added that badge. The car looks pretty trashed but it's hard to tell from the low-quality pictures.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
YOU AGAIN!

o_O

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live outside the USA it appears to have a 2.5 144 hp engine 10 v engine. Thanks guys, so this model does not have the dreaded electronic throttle? This car used to be the chilean ambassador's car before the more recent owners purchased it. It seems the chilean embassy took care of it from the 2010 pics in the second link however i cant say that much about the more recent owners.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Nothing "dreaded" about an ETM, it's just a fact of life.
In ALL other aspects 99s and 2000s are smoother, faster and usually have less issues all thoughout the car

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
In ALL other aspects 99s and 2000s are smoother, faster and usually have less issues all thoughout the car
.......what

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
.......what
Do I have to repeat this statement?
You have what, a car or two?
I have several and have sold maybe 2-300 Gen 1s!
Except for the fact that 98s car easily be modded, EVERYTHING else about them is inferior
(IMO).

Ask rsterns (who bought my 99), you know he has that 98 V70T5 with over 300K miles and a seriously built engine
Ask him how smooth and quick my old T5M (stock engined) 99 is

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Except for the fact that 98s car easily be modded, EVERYTHING else about them is inferior
(IMO).

Ask rsterns (who bought my 99), you know he has that 98 V70T5 with over 300K miles and a seriously built engine
Oh Jimmy, there you go again with your ego. I absolutely agree, you have messed with way more stock gen 1s than me. Never suggested otherwise.

However, you said EVERYTHING about them is inferior. Which is......um......false. Then you added the modded comment...

Your making it out to seem like there is this huge difference between these years, and the 98s are way less reliable, etc. Very dramatic, but not very true.

Yes, there is a sight difference between the years. Yes, if you want a car to keep stock, go newer. That being said, both cars will be about the same in reliability, and it's not too much of a difference.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
This whole discussion is kind of a moot point anyway. IIRC, the 10v cars all had the more traditional 850/98 70 series engine (aside from the 10 valve thing ;) ) No ETM, no VVT even after the 98 model year.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
(IMO).

Yes, I'll say that the '99 is a very sweet ride. STOCK and hold 13psi ! Not a squeek or rattle, but it does have less than half the miles as the 98 has on it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yes, I'll say that the '99 is a very sweet ride. STOCK and hold 13psi ! Not a squeek or rattle, but it does have less than half the miles as the 98 has on it.
Lol, I missed that....He compared an almost 400k mile performance car to a 150k mile stock car?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Again you miss the point.
Why don't you think before you post?
Bob totally rebuilt his engine and most of that 98 last year (and this).
That statement was for engine smoothness and performance only, 98 vs 99-2000, no one is comparing cars to cars here

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Again you miss the point.
Why don't you think before you post?
Bob totally rebuilt his engine and most of that 98 last year (and this).
That statement was for engine smoothness and performance only, 98 vs 99-2000, no one is comparing cars to cars here

Ohhh, right. My bad. Totally forgot that if you take an engine with 400k miles, rebuild it, and then put it back in the car, it's the exact same as having a car with 150k miles.

Here, why don't you think before YOU post. I understood your point from the start...I just think you're over-exageratting it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts