SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new Volvo owner, buying my first in 2009. Now have a MY12 XC70 and have noticed a few oddball things. Not major, just different/funny:

1. "Push" to enable the parking brake. (Pull to release.). Every car I've owned, both American and Japanese, engage a parking brake by pulling. To this day, I continue to pull on the lever if I don't think about it.

2. Half degrees for temperature. Not sure if unique to Celsius with metric settings, but my XC70 changes temperature in half degree increments. (My 09 does not do it.). I'm so thankful for this because 19 degrees was freezing, 20 degrees made me sweat, but 19.5 degrees is just right.

3. Driver & passenger temperature doesn't sync. All other modern vehicles (in the Volvo price range) allow you to set temperature separately for driver & passenger or control them both together. My wife is always cold, so driving home at night she might set it to 23C for passenger. Next morning, I'm driving on my own, set to 19.5C (ha - just joking!), and have to turn the passenger temp dial down. Just wish they would sync.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Volvos, but there are quirks.

Any others I didn't think of?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Small things:

The sun-visors are absolutely not long enough, nor do they slide to cover blinding side-sun when driving N-S at the "wrong" time of day.

The climate controls don't allow you to sync the temps, which is something I've seen on *all* vehicles with separate controls.

As you may be tired of seeing with my posts (!), the fact that the City Safety laser is "on" at all times has driven me a bit crazy. Not being able to fully utilize my radar detector will be troubling on long trips.

The voice/Nav interactions don't allow you to search a POI by things like specific category, i.e., "find Chinese food", or with a specific business-name, etc.

Overall, the XC70 is simply a great and flexible vehicle, however...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a relatively new Volvo owner, buying my first in 2009. Now have a MY12 XC70 and have noticed a few oddball things. Not major, just different/funny:

1. "Push" to enable the parking brake. (Pull to release.). Every car I've owned, both American and Japanese, engage a parking brake by pulling. To this day, I continue to pull on the lever if I don't think about it.
My Audi's electronic parking brake is setup the proper way and I make a comment about this PITA practically every time I drive in my wife's XC70.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My Audi's electronic parking brake is setup the proper way and I make a comment about this PITA practically every time I drive in my wife's XC70.
I have the exact same issues between my V70 and my wife's Q5. On top of the wipers' lever working in opposite directions in our cars (up vs down) to engage them.

Actually my biggest little mother-effing complaint... every time I turn on the headlights I have to also push the button to turn on the fog lights (same goes for the Q5), but I loved in my [cough] 06 Civic Si that I could leave the fog light button engaged, so I just had to turn my headlights on and everything is on. Any way to fix/change this???

·
Registered
770 Posts
The climate control thing annoys me, but I'm OK with the way the parking brake works. I have only driven cars with normal handbrakes or foot-operated brakes, so I don't know any better.

This is also my first car with an auto-dimming mirror and I don't like it. I don't think this is strictly a Volvo issue, but it never gets dim enough for long-haul night driving and in the city it brightens whenever someone pulls close enough behind at a light that their headlights disappear. Then I get blinded when I pull away. I wish I could just push a button and lock the thing on "dark", or just have a normal flip-up mirror. I also don't love that the speedo and tach needles are face-lit instead of properly back or edge lit. It isn't that big of a deal but the needle can be hard to see at night.

Other than those little nits, this is a really well-designed car. It's stylish but they didn't sacrifice function to get there.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Why pull it? Just put the car in gear and tap the gas pedal. Electronic brake will disengage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually my biggest little mother-effing complaint... every time I turn on the headlights I have to also push the button to turn on the fog lights (same goes for the Q5), but I loved in my [cough] 06 Civic Si that I could leave the fog light button engaged, so I just had to turn my headlights on and everything is on. Any way to fix/change this???[/QUOTE]
You must be driving in the fog a LOT more than I am if you're that bothered.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the exact same issues between my V70 and my wife's Q5. On top of the wipers' lever working in opposite directions in our cars (up vs down) to engage them.

Actually my biggest little mother-effing complaint... every time I turn on the headlights I have to also push the button to turn on the fog lights (same goes for the Q5), but I loved in my [cough] 06 Civic Si that I could leave the fog light button engaged, so I just had to turn my headlights on and everything is on. Any way to fix/change this???
Ah, that reminds me. If you have the fog lights on, but temporarily switch to high beams, the fog lights turn off. They remain off after switching back to low beams though, so you have to push the fog light button again. (On my 2009, the fog lights would come back on automatically.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys must all live Newfoundland.....why do you need your fog lights on all the time?
Well, let's be honest about the default fog lights on the XC70, or most other vehicles for that matter. "Real" fog lights (that actually help in severe fog conditions) are yellow, mounted a bit higher and more centered on the vehicle, and are significantly larger - think rally cars. Also note that headlights would typically be turned completely off in these conditions.

By contrast, the XC70 fog lights are tiny, white, and mounted extremely low on the vehicle. (While fog lights should be mounted lower, the existing mount areas is very low.) Being honest, they probably aren't a heck of a lot of use in severe fog, such as in Newfoundland.

In my case, I find the default fog lights handy in terms of lighting up the lower front sides of the vehicle. I live in a semi-rural area, and they really help to light up the eyes of critters that might potentially run out in front of the car at night. For actual fog? Not so much.

What's irritating, is that in my 2009, I can flash the high beams while the fog lights are engaged and they will come on again once the high beams turn off. In my 2012, the fog lights are turned off completely, and must be turned on again via the button.

While fog lights and high beams are definitely mutually exclusive (if you've ever tried high beams in fog), the MY12 treatment of fog lights is a quirk for me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How about the speedo glare on the windscreen at night - anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
This is also my first car with an auto-dimming mirror and I don't like it. I don't think this is strictly a Volvo issue, but it never gets dim enough for long-haul night driving and in the city it brightens whenever someone pulls close enough behind at a light that their headlights disappear. Then I get blinded when I pull away. I wish I could just push a button and lock the thing on "dark", or just have a normal flip-up mirror.
The dealer can change the sensitivity of the mirror dimming.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about the speedo glare on the windscreen at night - anyone else notice this?
I noticed after someone in this forum mentioned it, but it doesn't bother me. My wife did complain initially about the footwell lighting reflecting in the side windows .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Foglights and dipped headlights are not allowed to be combined in Europe. Some years ago, many cars changed to designs which leave the foglights off by default. You are allowed to drive with foglights combined with parking lights (as an alternative to DRL) and together with high beam, anything goes.
Volvo didn't have half-degree setup for interior temperature on some models, but now it's back. I like it.
Syncing the climate zones isn't needed. There is very little influence from one side to the other. Far less than one could expect.
Does the City Safety laser scanner interfere with some sort of speed control radar detector? I doubt they were bothered by that at Volvo, since it's illegal to even own a radar detector, let alone use it, in Sweden. There is a (theoretical) possible punsihment of two years imprisonment for that.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You guys must all live Newfoundland.....why do you need your fog lights on all the time?
I do live less than a mile from the Connecticut Coastline, not exactly Newfoundland, but we do experience our fair share of coastal fog. Anyhow, the reason I always drive with them on is because the Base Halogens on my V70 are horrible... and the fog lights help light up the wooded sides of the roads for wildlife and pot holes. So, that's why I drive with them all the time, they also help some in the fog, but yellow ones would be better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<<snip>>

Syncing the climate zones isn't needed. There is very little influence from one side to the other. Far less than one could expect.
Does the City Safety laser scanner interfere with some sort of speed control radar detector? I doubt they were bothered by that at Volvo, since it's illegal to even own a radar detector, let alone use it, in Sweden. There is a (theoretical) possible punsihment of two years imprisonment for that.

Telling me that syncing "isn't needed" is pretty funny. It's a simple feature, and *every* car I have owned with multiple-zones has had it. I know what is happening in the cabin of my car, and for my own personal comfort I prefer a sync function. Thanks for telling me I don't need it. Perhaps *you* don't need it. I do prefer having it as a functional part of a multi-zone climate control.

There are some States here in the U.S. that also do not allow radar-detectors...however, many States (the vast majority) still allow them.

I don't care what the laws are in Sweden. I think it would be nice for Volvo to consider it's customers here in the U.S. when delivering vehicles to our shores. Since Volvo apparently isn't bothered about delivering a product that leaves a customer less-than-satisfied (when a more functional on/off switch would correct the problem), perhaps they won't be bothered about eventually losing that customer.

Me.

It's a very nice car. There are other very nice cars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The car: 2009 XC70 The whines are below-----
I miss the temperature gauge... My 05 had one
I wonder who/ what is moving my driver seat when I park the car. When I get back into it the side view mirrors and seat has shifted.
I miss my voice activated Volvo BT but at least my cell phone bill is smaller ..lol:)
I miss doing mods with the 2009... No one seems to mod anything on the 2008 and up XC70's. I guess everything is perfect on the car...;)
I miss the subwoofer but love the 09 high performance radio
I love how the transmission release button is hidden under the mat that is behind the center stack...The 2009 blew its battery the other day while the car was parked.
Don't forget to chock the wheels if you push the trans release button and the car is on an incline...LOL :eek:
4 stars for the Vovlo Rpad Service...on time

I do love the ride, the handling, the smooth acceleration and fine fit of this wagon...I would not turn it in for my old 2005 despite my whines

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I wrote "not needed" I meant that on the driver's side, you don't notice if the passenger sets his temperature a bit higher or lower than you do. The separation is more definite than one could imagine, considering that there's no wall in between. No car I've owned have had the sync option for the climate zones, but I have indeed driven cars with that option. Didn't see any point in it.
I'm sorry if my opinion offended you. I'm not any native English speaker, and sometimes it's difficult to get the right nuances through.

You can turn City Safety off, but I think you have to do it each time you start the car. I don't remember - I let it stay on. Regardless of whether radar detectors are illegal or not, it's easy to prioritize between the two functions, if you have to.

By the way, the other day I finally noticed the instrument cluster glare in the windscreen. I've had the car for 16 months, but didn't notice until now. It's so high up, that I hardly notice it, unless I sit somewhat awkward in the car.

Do you at all have to turn on the headlights in US spec models? I let my light switch remain in the zero position all the time. Dipped headlights turn on automatically as DRL, and when it gets dark, I can turn on the high beam as well. Nothing more needed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<<snip>>

You can turn City Safety off, but I think you have to do it each time you start the car. I don't remember - I let it stay on. Regardless of whether radar detectors are illegal or not, it's easy to prioritize between the two functions, if you have to.

<<snip>>

Unfortunately, you're wrong.

Turning the CS function off (at every start) only turns off the car's response to the laser. The laser itself stays on 100% of the time the car is running, regardless of any owner-controls. The laser interferes completely with my Valentine One radar detector (legal in most States here in the U.S), which detects laser.

There is no owner control that allows for your statement, "easy to prioritize between the two functions", since the laser itself is always *on*, regardless of the driver's preference.

This is a major drawback for me. I can't afford to sell the car, so I'm stuck with it. It does have many fine qualities, but my long road trips are going to be a hassle. Volvo doesn't care.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts