SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not really news or anything wrong, but just an FYI.

The short version of my story is I had reason today to try the parking brake as an emergency brake while the car was in motion (tested it going very slow though). I'll explain why below for anyone who cares enough, but the gist is the button WILL activate the brake while the car is in motion and it is sudden and jarring. However, it will immediately deactivate it after only a second. So it results in a quick, slowing jerk then disengages. I assume this is intentional and it's meant only for actual parking. Bottom line is you won't be doing any drifting in this car...

The reason I had to try it is my son is about to take his driving test here in NJ and they have a quirky little rule that you can only use a car with either a bench seating style and no console so the test administrator can easily reach the foot pedal brake with their left foot, or it has to have a parking/emergency brake accessible to the administrator from the passenger seat. The bottom line is we have 3 cars and none of them qualify. The other two have the parking brake as a pedal on the far left of the driver and the Volvo doesn't qualify because the brake won't remain engaged. I can't remember the last time I owned a car that actually had a pull brake in the center. So we have to make an appointment with a driving instructor and borrow their car for the test. Jersey for you...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

I'm starting to think we should start a sticky thread that is heavily moderated with all of these things the owners have learned, and no extraneous comments. Or a SwedeWiki!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The short version of my story is I had reason today to try the parking brake as an emergency brake while the car was in motion (tested it going very slow though).
At what speed(s)?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The real bottom line is that New Jersey will soon have to get its driving test cars from museums!
My theory is it's just another typical Jersey scam to assure there's a niche business from the driving schools to get paid for sessions when you take the test. And most won't let you just use their cars, you have to agree to a "refresher" session before you do the test. Plus NJ legally requires you pay for these schools before you can even take the written test and get a learner's permit. It's kind of like the way they require you to use a lawyer for your home purchase, even though most states just let you use form documents prepared by your broker (for no additional fee above the commission they are already getting).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just saw this in the manual, you need to continue to hold the lever if you want it to stay on.
"Emergency braking
In an emergency, the parking brake can be applied when the vehicle is moving by pressing and holding up the control. Braking will be interrupted when the control is released.
An audible signal will sound during this procedure if the vehicle is moving at higher speeds."

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just saw this in the manual, you need to continue to hold the lever if you want it to stay on.
"Emergency braking
In an emergency, the parking brake can be applied when the vehicle is moving by pressing and holding up the control. Braking will be interrupted when the control is released.
An audible signal will sound during this procedure if the vehicle is moving at higher speeds."
That didn't work. Holding it did not leave it engaged, even at the very slow speed I was testing it. Someone else should test this to see if it was my car or every car as I'd like to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts