SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Volvo previously announced that they built an electric-only car but decided against production. And a 300 mile range is something I'll believe when I see it. I cannot see where the SPA platform can accommodate ten times the XC90 T8's batteries.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volvo previously announced that they built an electric-only car but decided against production. And a 300 mile range is something I'll believe when I see it. I cannot see where the SPA platform can accommodate ten times the XC90 T8's batteries.
To be honest, we do not know the full potential of SPA. But the interesting thing here is CMA and hybrid technology with FWD.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe Volvo had shown a design idea to place batteries in door panels too. Also, battery technology is changing so we shall see a much better power to weight ratio within 5 years.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
300 miles range is not good enough.

We need at least 500:cool:

There's no way you can enjoy a long distance travel:)
And a 5 minute charge for another 500 miles, with plenty of charging stations around. Then it would be bye-bye gasoline engine, bye-bye Putin too. :p

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
Depends... how is this electricity being generated?
GOOD point! And one that is often left out of the discussion about electric cars. How is the power to recharge the batteries being generated? Where I live, its likely to be a fossil fuel, COAL in particular. So, one really isn't helping the environment, IMHO, if a fossil fuel is being used to generate the electricity that recharges the car...

·
Registered
106 Posts
GOOD point! And one that is often left out of the discussion about electric cars. How is the power to recharge the batteries being generated? Where I live, its likely to be a fossil fuel, COAL in particular. So, one really isn't helping the environment, IMHO, if a fossil fuel is being used to generate the electricity that recharges the car...
Here in Austria the mix would be almost all water and wind if you charge at night.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's not a good point. Even if the power was all generated from coal, it is still more efficient than a fleet of gas powered vehicles. This myth has been debunked so many times that anyone who continues to promote it, simply doesn't read or just doesn't want EV's to exist. Here is just one resource, you can find countless others if you spend just one minute doing some research, http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I believe Volvo had shown a design idea to place batteries in door panels too. Also, battery technology is changing so we shall see a much better power to weight ratio within 5 years.
Those were capacitors, not batteries IIRC.
Regardless of batteries or capacitors, why would you want your weight so high up in the vehicle? Also why would you want them in an area so prone to damage in an accident?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
except that this point ISN'T "left out" of the discussion. Pretty much every single article discussing the broader issue also discusses how clean the grid is.

The only people not talking about that are the complete boobs (or the people who have an electric car to sell you)

What V70Brad's post illustrates is that even smart people who care about the issue are uninformed about the issue. This is a perfect example of why propaganda is a bad thing. If even a guy like V70Brad gets it wrong, imagine how wrong the stupid people are.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
It's not a good point. Even if the power was all generated from coal, it is still more efficient than a fleet of gas powered vehicles. This myth has been debunked so many times that anyone who continues to promote it, simply doesn't read or just doesn't want EV's to exist. Here is just one resource, you can find countless others if you spend just one minute doing some research, http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green.
yup, what P50 says, too

ICE's are the worst approach for the environment. They're better than they used to be, but still not as good as EVs, even if the EV is powered by coal

"Electric cars are far from perfect, and there are plenty of valid ways to critique them. But let’s not pretend that a gasoline vehicle can compete with an electric car in terms of carbon emissions. It’s just not a contest."

Read more at http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green#xBCbbGzvGyoa13Go.99"

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
except that this point ISN'T "left out" of the discussion. Pretty much every single article discussing the broader issue also discusses how clean the grid is.

The only people not talking about that are the complete boobs (or the people who have an electric car to sell you)
I can tell you that this was a constant topic of conversation while working at Tesla. There is no reason to hide from it because it is clearly in favor of EV's. If no changes were made to the power grid and the entire vehicle fleet were switched to EV's we would be in a better place then we are today. It is much easier to control emissions from a very few power plants than from millions and millions of gas and diesel burning cars on the road that are spewing unknown(hello VW) emissions into the air. Countless studies have been done on the subject and the results are no longer up for debate.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hybrid as in Volvo's T8 for the XC90 are an interim step to widespread electric adoption as battery technology improves in the next 5-10 years and mass production and shared driverless car pools (cities) cut costs of ownership, I believe.

I am not sure how local utilities will handle the distribution network load if electric adoption becomes widespread. Household power plants or solar batteries may help solve this problem. Also, shared car pooling like ZipCar/Autoshare/Uber will help mitigate this issue in urban settings where the problem will be more the issue.

There are still those with a push for fuel cells, like Toyota's chairman. But it seems to me that Volvo has latched onto the right headwinds - I.e. Hybrid/Electric.

Who knows?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hybrid as in Volvo's T8 for the XC90 are an interim step to widespread electric adoption as battery technology improves in the next 5-10 years and mass production and shared driverless car pools (cities) cut costs of ownership, I believe.

I am not sure how local utilities will handle the distribution network load if electric adoption becomes widespread. Household power plants or solar batteries may help solve this problem. Also, shared car pooling like ZipCar/Autoshare/Uber will help mitigate this issue in urban settings where the problem will be more the issue.

There are still those with a push for fuel cells, like Toyota's chairman. But it seems to me that Volvo has latched onto the right headwinds - I.e. Hybrid/Electric.

Who knows?
I don't know where you are but in the US nothing is needed. They have already done many studies on this as well. The entire US vehicle fleet could be switched to EV's without a single new power plant having to be built. It comes down to when people charge. At night power plants don't have the ability to shut down. They still are producing energy without the ability to store it. This results is a ton of excess energy throughout the night which is when EV's should be charged. Many utilities offer time of use meters to make use of this with crazy low rates during these hours. Now if everyone tries charging during peak hours, they could run into some issues, but you discourage that through pricing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Am in Toronto, Canada. I agree with what you say. I didn't mean the power generation side nor the high voltage power distribution network that you see between urban areas. I mean the relatively low voltage distribution network that handles the stepped down voltage going into our homes. I read that this is a challenge for local utilities. They are working to upgrade their networks as I understand it, so the point may be moot if electric adoption rates don't outpace their efforts.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Volvo and Vattenfall did a study on what if all cars in Sweden were changed overnight to all-electric. They estimated it would increase the load on the power grid by only 6%. Electric motors are a very efficient way of transportation, even if the electricity is generated by coal.

And let's not forget, to refine oil to gasoline is very energy intensive, and before you even burn your gasoline a lot of electrical power has been used, maybe generated by coal.

Here's an old video on the topic where the 6% figure to power all of Sweden's cars is cited. Skip to 3:51 for the 6% quote.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts