SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what the pros and cons might be of switching to full synthetic from a synth blend? Been using synth blend for the life of the car 150k. 06 2.4i.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you've been changing your oil every 3500 miles, none. If you've been following the oil change reminder system chances are you may already have some sludge in your engine. Synthetic will help to clean that out and will also last the full duration of the recommended service interval without turning to sludge in your engine. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com to read more than you ever wanted to know about oil.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Like said above. Synthetic is good for longer change intervals. How has your oil replacement history been?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
No worries at all. You don't have the turbo & you live in CA. Even at factory 7500 changes I bet your engine is plenty clean. Makes a big difference that our engines hold 6-7 quarts vs. the 4 that seems common on many others.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I use synthetic and change it when the oil is turns darker. I check the oil once a week or so. I usually change it between 4 and 5k. I've always had a hard time believing that 7500 miles is good. I do it myself though, so it cuts down on cost. 22 bucks for 5qt of Mobil or Castrol synthetic, and 7 bucks for an oem filter. My friends 2016 Toyota has 10k change intervals on regular oil. I told him if he follows that he's going to have problems later on.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I use synthetic and change it when the oil is turns darker. I check the oil once a week or so. I usually change it between 4 and 5k. I've always had a hard time believing that 7500 miles is good. I do it myself though, so it cuts down on cost. 22 bucks for 5qt of Mobil or Castrol synthetic, and 7 bucks for an oem filter. My friends 2016 Toyota has 10k change intervals on regular oil. I told him if he follows that he's going to have problems later on.

where do you get oil and filters for that price?
Best i could find in stores was 26$ for 5 qts for synthetic and 12$ filters

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Walmart has oil on sale always Castrol or Mobil for 22 bucks, and I get the filters in ebay oem brand. Just search for the mahle listings.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Same. I do Walmart for mobil 1 oil and you can always get a Mobil 1 rebate for 10 off. Then get a Mann filter on Amazon or buy in bulk.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I will add my personal experience, because the bobistheoilguy link is really more than you'll ever need to know. Here's how it's been for me:

- I run full synthetic in my V50 and XC90. Mobil1, but about to try Royal Purple for kicks.

- I switched from regular oil to full synthetic in a BMW M3 with >100k mi once and started developing oil leaks.

- I don't believe in 7.5k-15k oil change intervals (OCI) unless I have proof that it's ok. See below.

- I get a used oil analysis performed by Blackstone every now and then, to determine if my OCI is ok, or if there are other problems. It's $25 for the analysis. You request a free collection "kit" from them online (this is not an ad for them, there are other companies out there, Google it). You drain your oil mid-stream into the container and mail to them. They give you a breakdown of various metals and tolerances, plus their own paragraph of an assessment. I consider it to be worthwhile. It forewarned me of the impending camshaft/lifter destruction in our former VW Jetta TDI - the iron concentration in the oil was too high, even with the magnetic drain plug. I added cetane booster to compensate for poor US fuels and shortened the factory 10k OCI to 5k to prolong the life of the cam.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i could have sworn that switching to synthetic oil doesnt really cause leaks in modern cars... it was something i looked into when i made the switch and an older guy told me to be careful.. but it turned out to be somewhat of a relic from the past that doesnt apply anymore. Dont quote me on that ;) but that was the last i heard and it certainly did no harm to my engine.

I wont deny your^ actual experience though, just curious which gen M3 was it?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I became a believer in synthetic oil because of my lawn mower. My 1/2 acre usually took a little over a tank to cut the lawn. One time when it was time for an oil change in the mower all I had was some Mobil1 10W30 full synthetic. I figured it would be good given the mower does not have an oil filter. Fuel consumption immediately dropped to where I could do the entire lawn on just under one tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sadly the oil change history was not good at all for the first 100k. Has been close to the recommended intervals since.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I almost didn't buy my car because of oil neglect. The car only had 28K miles but the oil was really dark and there were signs of muck. Apparently the original owner was going 11K miles between oil changes. It took a while to clean it up running Seafoam for the last 500 miles prior to oil changes but it worked and the engine has been great.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I use royal purple every 3000 miles or two months, i don't put a lot of mile on but I do kinda horse beat it. Royal purple is so expensive tho and rarely on sell I think I'm gonna go with castrol since my changes are so often.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I almost didn't buy my car because of oil neglect. The car only had 28K miles but the oil was really dark and there were signs of muck. Apparently the original owner was going 11K miles between oil changes. It took a while to clean it up running Seafoam for the last 500 miles prior to oil changes but it worked and the engine has been great.
I'm been thinking about using seafoam in my 2.5. It's got 150k but it runs great so I don't know if there's any risk and if it's worth it but I figure with those miles there has to be something to get out.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I am up to 176K miles and have not had any problem with Seafoam at all. Occasionally, I'll still dump 1/2 a can in the oil and the other 1/2 in the gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts