SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, not the most exciting of mods, but I wanted to have a full size spare in the caR instead of the donut. Seemed like there was almost enough room as it was, but with simply placing the spare in the well the cargo cover is raised about an inch and can't latch shut. I yanked out the black foam blocks on the bottom that are used to support the donut tire, and took out the hinges for the flip up grocery bag divider and tried again. It was closer, but the cargo cover was still not as flush as I wanted. I ended up using something called a Dremel Multi-Max oscillating saw to shave some of the molded deck material from under the cover that was preventing it from latching and sitting flush. I put a piano hinge on the grocery divider so I could use it to cover up some openings created by the removed material. Of course, it doesn't stay up on its own (easy now), but I put a little eye-hook on the divider and tied a string with a hook to the top of the trunk to secure it if I want to use it. I inverted my 18x8 35ET TD Pro Race 1.2 wheel with a 235/40 tire and mounted it in the same fashion as the donut was. It's secured with the same device that held the old spare down and the jack and tools are held in the same spot. Worked out pretty well, plus I have a TPMS sensor in the spare so I can easily see if it needs air by looking at the display.

Dremel tool (I used the metal blade since the underside material has chicken wire in it):

Some material that I removed

Cover closed and latched:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't see why not. For me, the main advantage for having the divider was to cover the openings when it's in the down position. I'm sure you could cover any exposed areas by other means if you had to. Since I already had a full size spare, I was able to test fit and trim as needed - just not sure if the '04s are different in regards to the spare well area and if the underside of the cargo cover has the bumpy areas like mine did.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Only bad part now is that with the tire inverted you run the potential of scratching the crap out of the front of your rim. I tried this trick with my 18" pegs, and after a week it scratch the paint right off. :(
Good thing it was a spare rim and not something that was chrome or black matte. I would have been more pissed then I already was.:mad:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That could be a problem depending on the wheel/tire combo. In my case, the F1 Asymmetric tires provide enough protection to the outside of the rim to prevent contact with the well. You could probably find a thin foam mat, for example, to provide a barrier and prevent damage.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
BlazinBob--Nice wheels! I see you went with the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's. Look great on your car, was wondering what you had before and if you noticed an improvement in ride quality when you went to the lighter wheel. GY F1's are 25lbs, so with TD 18X8's you're just under 45lbs per wheel. If you came from 18" Pegs, you lost about 7lbs depending on what tire you had before.

Reason I ask is I currently have a set of factory 18" Pegs with 26lb tires, so each corner is 53lbs. I like the look of Pegs most but if ride noticably improves with far lighter wheels I'm game. I've been planning on going to a 17" wheel, and am between Factory Pegs and a set of Team Dynamics 1.2's. With a ~22lb tire, the weight of each wheel would be 40lb per with the Team Dynamics 17X8's, or 47lbs with the 17" Pegs. The TD's will basically double my weight loss, I just wonder if its worth it to spend an additional $200-300 total to lose an additional 7 lb per corner.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
377Z, I did notice a positive change in ride quality, but I changed from 18" Pegs and Hankook K103's to the 18" TD/GY F1 Asym combo that I am running at a lower PSI (~35 cold vs 39 PSI before), so I'm not sure what the ride quality change is due to. Your weight estimates seem about right, and I see less weight per wheel as a good thing, but I don't think I would let that alone be a deciding factor, the Pegs are good looking wheels after all.

In case you haven't seem my post with the wheels installed:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?135883

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thanks, I did not see the thread, been having mixed success with search lately. I actually first saw your car on Viva's site & recognized your avatar on S60R.com. Since I'm not registered there yet, I decided to check to see if you were here, and, well, here we are.

I sure wish I knew who the guy with the black S60R running black 17X8 TD's on the Viva website is & if they were on here. I'd bug them for more pictures since thats the size I'd get.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
nice does this work for peeps who don't have the grocery bag holder? I have an 04 and I don't have that thingy
If you don't have the grocery bag holder, you don't need to do any mods, other then rearrange those foam blocks (just yank em).

My 17 inch peg with summer tire fits in my spare tire area just fine. Cargo floor is perfectly flat. The grocery holder option makes the floor probably an inch thicker though, hence the need to mod that setup.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
The donut works for me since I usually get away with my plug kit and compressor since I hate changing a tire on the side of the road. Last thing I want is more weight in the R than it already has, lol.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
The donut works for me since I usually get away with my plug kit and compressor since I hate changing a tire on the side of the road. Last thing I want is more weight in the R than it already has, lol.
I bet the donut + compressor weighs more than a 17 in peg :p

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol. Both times I had to use the donut I was stuck without a wheel while it was repaired and a new tire was ordered. Now with a full size spare and matched tire no worries. Plus, I don't have the shame of donut driving. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did you ziptie your tools to the rim? That seems like a surprisingly simple way to stop any rattling.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used a ziptie to cinch up the tool bag to keep it from rattling. The bag is just held normally by the velcro straps, it's not not directly tied to the wheel.

I :heart: zipties.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Nice work!! I thought about doing this as well...providing I can find another home for my CarPC.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ooh I like this. The hinges snapped on my grocery "door" so I cannot open it any longer. Tried to repair, but its the cheap plastic stopper that broke. Volvo and their cheap plastic. Replacement can only be had of the entire thing, like $161 or so. Can't find the $8 hinges to just screw in replacing the old one.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I need to do this for my XC... wanted to do it for the R but, alas, the car is now gone.

Matt, ANSWER MY EMAILS DARNIT!!! :D If you want to tackle that project on an intercooler install day, I'm game!

BTW, Volvo uses Velcro to hold the tools in place, I'd suggest doing the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just saw where I have a donut spare on my 03 XC70 and that sucks! I want to have a regular stock full size spare. If I find a stock wheel and put a 215/65/16 on it, will it fit in the donut location without modifying it???

Benjie Edmonson
Photographer
www.benedmonsonPHOTO.comm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I just saw this thread and I had to ask...Why did you have to change anything at all? I've had a full size 18 in the trunk for years. With junk in around and on top of the wheel. I just removed the large square blocks of foam. No cutting at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts