SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I attempted to replace my mini spare with a full size tire and 17" Peg rim.
After removing the 3 foam blocks and replacing with some 1/4" foam pad all went well, until I went and slid the carpeted cover back on top.
I have the grocery holder flip up divider. The hinges that protrude under the carpeted cover align with the spare tire and do not allow the cover to go down far enough. We're talking at least 3" too high.
If you didn't have this option in your trunk, the full size spare would stow without a problem.
I'm not willing to lose the divider so I'll live with the cool mini spare.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Re: Full size spare in a S60 R (Our R)

Quote, originally posted by Our R »
Yesterday I attempted to replace my mini spare with a full size tire and 17" Peg rim.
After removing the 3 foam blocks and replacing with some 1/4" foam pad all went well, until I went and slid the carpeted cover back on top.
I have the grocery holder flip up divider. The hinges that protrude under the carpeted cover align with the spare tire and do not allow the cover to go down far enough. We're talking at least 3" too high.
If you didn't have this option in your trunk, the full size spare would stow without a problem.
I'm not willing to lose the divider so I'll live with the cool mini spare.

Thanks for trying, I've been procrastinating on trying this for awhile now. Just think how much faster your car will be with the weight savings. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: Full size spare in a S60 R (vizwiz)

i think some R owners...at least one I know of...have TOTALLY ditched ANY spare and have put a subwoofer in that spare cubby....

those who do that..just accept that a flat will strand them, and they have to call AAA to get towed.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Re: Full size spare in a S60 R (vizwiz)

Quote, originally posted by vizwiz »
Just think how much faster your car will be with the weight savings. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

You better loose 10kg yourself and wonder how fast the car would be than

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

I thought there was a different plastic well you can get to accept a full spare?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: (Volvo Grrrr)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo Grrrr »
I thought there was a different plastic well you can get to accept a full spare?

There is. When I got my '05 V70R on OSD, I asked them to put in the shallower plastic well (spare tire cover) IF the full sized PEG spare would fit. They did and it does.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Full size spare in a S60 R (StaggRLee)

With the shallow spare tire cover/well, my grocery holder works just fine too.

I think the key on the V's is to get the shallow tray, and it is available here in the US; a friend got one recently so he could have a full size PEG spare.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
FWIW, I've a 18" peg with PS2 as a spare. It weighs 22kg (48.5lbs) as compared with the stock spare of 14kg (30.8lbs). That is a 8kg or 17.7lbs of weight increase.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Re: (blot)

how did you guys get the tire and rim in there?
i had to really struggle with mine (keeping an 18" with an all season in the trunk as a spare during the winter) to get it in the well
and its not sitting flush, but after my luck with tires so far, i prefer mobility to a flat trunk floor.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Re: (StaggRLee)

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »

Just pulled the three foam blocks, but some adhesive backed 1/8" foam down and put it in face down. Mine's a PS A/S tire, his is a PS2, maybe its to do with the tire profile?

the one i tried it with was a P Zero Nero M&S... what i left out from my prior post was turning purple and getting very very very aggravated. had to restrain myself from kicking it...

going to try again when i get new summer tires mounted.... hopefully the GS-D3s will be an easier fit...

·
Registered
584 Posts
With the shallow spare tire cover/well, my grocery holder works just fine too.

I think the key on the V's is to get the shallow tray, and it is available here in the US; a friend got one recently so he could have a full size PEG spare.
Thread revival warning.
Lead Foot 60 - any chance you have the part number for this shallow version of the tray?

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts