SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had noticed that my long term fuel trim had been running very negative (-5), which is within the control band of the ECM. However, mine used to run 0. I read in Mathew's Volvo site about resetting after doing certain work. So I did the reset by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Afterwards the LTFT decreased to -6, then -7 and now -9 with a CEL P0089. I pulled out my laptop with VIDA/ DICE and it says:

0089 = Volvo ECM-2900 DTC = Fuel Pressure, faulty signal.

According to VIDA:

Possible Source
Leakage in the fuel lines
Damaged fuel pressure sensor
Damaged Fuel Pump
Damaged Fuel pump control module

The simplest fix is the FPS so I went ahead and ordered one. Since I bought this car used a couple years ago, I don't know the history and if it had the PEM recall performed. I'll look to see if it was relocated. I am really hoping it is not the fuel pump but it was starting to make noise when I would start the car on very cold mornings.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I replaced the FPS, cleaned the MAF sensor, reset the fuel trim (disconnected the battery for 10 minutes) and reset codes. The LTFT is running around +4.7 now. The fuel pressure reading is much more stable now.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I've gone from running the LTFT -8 before replacing the FPS and cleaning the MAF to +8 now. I know that this is within the control band of the computer but it still seems high and my MPG seems down. I've checked all connections that I disturbed for vacuum leaks. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm not sure if you know, but there is a procedure in VIDA to test your fuel pump if you are still suspecting that. It's not very "high level", but it's something.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did not know that. I'll look into it.

For now I swapped the MAF sensor with one I has around from my old V50. I'll see how that reads when I get chance. Unfortunately, my iPhone died that I use to run Dash Command to check levels.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after swapping the MAF sensor for an old one I had around, my TLFT is running around +3. Perhaps I have some residue remaining on the one I took off that is throwing off the reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts