SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 - daily driver; 2008 XC90 V8 - 70k miles
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once again am making a new thread for this but I haven't been able to find anyone with similar symptoms as mine or an explanation for whatever is happening to my R.

Car: 2004 S60R M66, 113,8xx miles, Pacific NW owned, always used synthetic oil, have been using regular fuel (not premium)

The issue:
  • At an inspection several weeks back, the technician took out the drain plug to get some oil to fall out, and upon smelling it, he said it smelled like fuel. I also smelled it, and it was indeed fuel in the oil. Since then, I did an oil change last Tuesday, November 23rd with Liqui Moly Special Tec 5W-30 Full Synthetic.
  • My mileage used to hover around 16.3-16.6 MPG, but about a week and a half ago, it dropped to 16.0 MPG and it has not gone up nor down since then. Even when driving like a granny, or on a highway. Before, when I used to commute to work via the highway, it would raise the mileage by about 0.1-0.2 MPG by the time I got there, but now it literally doesn't budge from 16.0 MPG.
  • The garage REEKS of fuel after I come and park it in there after driving it. Doesn't matter what time of day; cold mornings or warm evenings. It smells like fuel and I 100% know it's the R because as soon as I take it out, or if I don't drive the car, the garage no longer smells like gas.
  • The underbelly of the car looks nearly fully dry and I can't seem to find any leaks.
So I did a search on SS, right? And a few things came up. The most common issue that fit my symptoms was the recall for the fuel pump on 01-04 S60's sold in specific regions. Here's the link with more info on this recall: Recall 220. Excited, I call my local dealer and they say my R wasn't covered in the recall.

In conclusion, I'm back to square one. I'm not sure what to do, but I'm really hoping you all can help me out here. I'm thinking of ordering a PEM relocation harness from FCP Euro to prevent any PEM issues in the future. That reminds me, does my R have the steel tank?? How can I tell? Is this even going to fit my 2004 S60R?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Happy holidays.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Have you taken off the fuel rail to inspect yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet, no. How difficult is that? What kind of a job is that, in terms of time?

Are you thinking the injectors are bad?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
have been using regular fuel (not premium)
You should really try to use highest octane you have available if possible. It's a turbocharged engine that's been known to suffer from cracked blocks.
"If you put in fuel with an octane rating too low for your vehicle, it can create a knock. An octane rating is the measure of a fuel type’s ability to resist premature detonation of the air-fuel mixture in the engine. The combustion causes the “knocking” or “pinging” sound you hear. "

I have not yet, no. How difficult is that? What kind of a job is that, in terms of time?

Are you thinking the injectors are bad?
I mean that's the way that fuel enters the engine so that's where I would look.
It's pretty easy, I'm sure there's a video or a writeup out there. Maybe an hour or two. When you take it off, maybe look for signs of fuel dripping out of one of the injectors? You will need to install new o-rings for each injector before reinstalling the rail. Maybe one of your injectors has some crud buildup that's preventing it from fulling sealing when shut and causing fuel to leak past? Just a guess... I would replace your fuel filter if you haven't recently. It's pretty easy to do as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you've never installed injectors work them in a slow circular motion back in or you risk tearing your new o rings when seating the injectors same for coming out if always slowly worked them in a circular motion.

Hint for installing to use a small amount of water and dawn rub them around the new o rings to help them slide in easier I've also known techs to use white lithium grease just a small coating.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should really try to use highest octane you have available if possible. It's a turbocharged engine that's been known to suffer from cracked blocks.
"If you put in fuel with an octane rating too low for your vehicle, it can create a knock. An octane rating is the measure of a fuel type’s ability to resist premature detonation of the air-fuel mixture in the engine. The combustion causes the “knocking” or “pinging” sound you hear. "

I mean that's the way that fuel enters the engine so that's where I would look.
It's pretty easy, I'm sure there's a video or a writeup out there. Maybe an hour or two. When you take it off, maybe look for signs of fuel dripping out of one of the injectors? You will need to install new o-rings for each injector before reinstalling the rail. Maybe one of your injectors has some crud buildup that's preventing it from fulling sealing when shut and causing fuel to leak past? Just a guess... I would replace your fuel filter if you haven't recently. It's pretty easy to do as well.
Will try to fill with premium from now on.

I just remembered I have the factory-original fuel filter at 113k miles... I've already got the part on order and I'll see if it helps the issue or not. Fingers crossed.

I'd rather not take the injectors out unless absolutely necessary. The only constraint I have is time, in that regard. But even if I had to replace the injectors, is that really a common failure point on these R's? $200 doesn't seem too bad of a price tag! https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-fuel-injector-kit-bosch-0280155968kt

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Sniff under backseat, there was a pump service bulletin for the 04s, even if volvo won't pay for it. Doesn't hurt to rule it out.

Put in 91 E0 or 93 E10... turbocharged cars need higher octane to make peak power=efficiency. Otherwise the car messes with timing to make the car not knock.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I smell fuel under the backseat, does that mean I've got to replace the fuel pump? What would it mean if I smelled fuel?

I think premium gas in my area is 93 Octane. I'll try that, I never knew the R's needed premium fuel as well. I knew my V8 XC90 "required" it, but now I'll be filling up with premium fuel.

Hopefully that and the new fuel filter will do the trick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Highly suspect your injectors. They are leaking into the combustion chamber and then getting past your rings into the oil while also being passed out your exhaust (ergo your fuel smell and poorer mileage).
To check this pull your spark plugs; if they’re wet and smell of fuel they’re fubar’d. Sorry. Good luck.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got new plugs and coil packs on the way already, so I'll check the old ones. So if they're wet, at least I'll know that my injectors are bad and need to be replaced, right?

That doesn't seem too bad, unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Will try to fill with premium from now on.

I just remembered I have the factory-original fuel filter at 113k miles... I've already got the part on order and I'll see if it helps the issue or not. Fingers crossed.

I'd rather not take the injectors out unless absolutely necessary. The only constraint I have is time, in that regard. But even if I had to replace the injectors, is that really a common failure point on these R's? $200 doesn't seem too bad of a price tag! https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-fuel-injector-kit-bosch-0280155968kt

Thank you.

I don’t think replacing the fuel filter will have any direct effect on this fuel leak problem but it will be good preventive maintenance.

I would order the injector o-rings and pull that rail off if I were you.

Have you tried running Techron or any other fuel injector cleaner in your tank?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I don’t think replacing the fuel filter will have any direct effect on this fuel leak problem but it will be good preventive maintenance.

I would order the injector o-rings and pull that rail off if I were you.

Have you tried running Techron or any other fuel injector cleaner in your tank?

I'm hopeful, but you're right.

Are you saying I should get the o-rings and pull the rail off to inspect the injectors and put them back in? Then, if they're faulty, I should order a kit of new injectors?

I've not put in any injector cleaner. I might try doing that, actually.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm hopeful, but you're right.

Are you saying I should get the o-rings and pull the rail off to inspect the injectors and put them back in? Then, if they're faulty, I should order a kit of new injectors?

I've not put in any injector cleaner. I might try doing that, actually.
You can replace all the injectors if you want, but you my guess is that’s there’s probably only one that’s leaking. You could maybe order the o rings and a single injector in case you find one to be bad. Or if money isn’t a concern, just order all new injectors and replace them and be done with it lol.

The only reason I suggest having all new orings on hand before taking off the rail is because it’s recommended that you replace them any time you take off the rail. You could probably get away with reusing them if your gentle, but you really don’t want to be in a situation where you damage some and can’t drive the car because you don’t have o rings on hand.

Yeah try doing a couple treatments of Techron or something. See where that gets you.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I filled it up with premium and the car seems to be smelling a lot less in the garage now. May be a placebo effect, who knows.

The mileage dipped down to 15.8 MPG before filling up with premium (93 I think here where I am) and now it's back up to 15.9-16.0 MPG.

I've got a new fuel filter here and once I install it I'll test it for a week and see how it goes. I also think I have a ghost misfire, no CEL but it doesn't sound to be running very smooth (might just be paranoid) and it doesn't accelerate as fast anymore for some reason. It's really odd, it's like the car's just suddenly lost 50 HP or something.

BTW, the car has a chipped ECU. The dealership recognized this and noted it down in the service records but I can't figure out what type of tune it is, where it is from, etc. If you all think that the Stage 1 (or whatever it is) could be dangerous for the integrity of the cylinder walls and overall reliability and mileage of the car, I'm more than happy to bring it back to Stage 0.

The car has a bigger downpipe and an exhaust (at least the muffler says TME on it, I'm not sure if the catback portion is stock or not). No other modifications as far as I know. I ditched the K&N drop-in red air filter after reading the oil on it causes MAF issues. Now that I think about it, could the MAF sensor have oil on it from the K&N, and thus be causing poor mileage and performance? I have MAF sensor cleaner at home, might try that out.

Thanks all for your help.

Reactions: TristanScott

·
Registered
61 Posts
The mileage dipped down to 15.8 MPG before filling up with premium (93 I think here where I am) and now it's back up to 15.9-16.0 MPG.
How are you only getting 16 mpg? I get about 24 mpg combined, and I don't exactly drive with fuel-efficiency in mind.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How are you only getting 16 mpg? I get about 24 mpg combined, and I don't exactly drive with fuel-efficiency in mind.
WHAT? 24?? Wow.

I do 100% city driving (to school, work, etc. and back) and I drive like a pre-granny. (AKA not with a heavy foot, but not with an extremely light foot either).

Google says the 2004 S60R is supposed to get 18 city/24 highway. Are my numbers not in line with that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honestly, I'm not really sure what others are averaging, but to put your mpg into context, I averaged 17 mpg towing a 2000 pound trailer through hilly upstate NY/western MA.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8 & 2008 C30 V1
492 Posts
I think premium gas in my area is 93 Octane. I'll try that, I never knew the R's needed premium fuel as well. I knew my V8 XC90 "required" it, but now I'll be filling up with premium fuel.
I think you're backwards on that. I have used 93 in my V8 XC90 since I bought it, but I don't think it's required. The turbo in the S60R (or any turbo, for that matter) prefers high octane. 93 is good :)

Hope you get the S60 sorted! I'm still on the lookout for one...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts