SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 C70 with 78k miles. Fuel sensor failed. Dealer acted as if it was normal. What does it do and can we expect it to fail again.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny, I drove the car (C70 with T5) and did not notice any hesitation or any other engine issues. It seemed to run fine. What worried me was the "urgent" in the messages. Now I know that this is just the way Volvo does "SES" or check engine

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm curious about the need to pull fuse 74 as stated in that diy link on s40/v50 board. Is it the same fuse number for C70?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I'm curious about the need to pull fuse 74 as stated in that diy link on s40/v50 board. Is it the same fuse number for C70?
The point of pulling the fuse is to disable the Fuel pump and stall the car out so there is less built up fuel pressure in the rail. It was the same fuse on both my S40 and C30, double check your owners manual.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2007 C70 (only a bit over 60k miles). I guess in theory it could be something else, besides the sensor (such as a PEM issue, or an actual fuel-pump problem, but it certainly seems like the FPS is the most likely culprit. My replacement sensor is enroute (I paid about $65 on eBay).

To elaborate a bit on the above post, in addition to removing the fuel-pump fuse (to turn off the pump), you should also try starting the car after the fuse is pulled, to use up fuel that's already in the rail. The threads I've seen have said to try starting it 2 or 3 more times, and then bleeding off any remaining fuel via the bleed valve on the driver's side of the rail. Use rags or heavy-duty paper towels when bleeding off, and then also underneath the FPS as you are pulling it out.

Also it is a good idea to make sure that the engine is cold, and (of course) that the battery terminal (at least one side) is taken off, to prevent any chance of igniting the spilled fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts