SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to get my engine running again but I am having some fuel issues. The fuel pump does not seem to be drawing gasoline. I blew air (with my mouth) through the hard line to make sure there was no blockage... the gas in the tank bubbled with no problem. I also held my finger to the fuel pump inlet and had someone try to start the car. There was a little bit of suction, but not much.

Questions: Is this a fuel pump issue? Can it be fixed without replacing the fuel pump?

Thank you, as always!

Zach Silver

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hello,

I am trying to get my engine running again but I am having some fuel issues. The fuel pump does not seem to be drawing gasoline. I blew air (with my mouth) through the hard line to make sure there was no blockage... the gas in the tank bubbled with no problem. I also held my finger to the fuel pump inlet and had someone try to start the car. There was a little bit of suction, but not much.

Questions: Is this a fuel pump issue? Can it be fixed without replacing the fuel pump?

Thank you, as always!

Zach Silver
Temporarily disconnect the large wire from the coil. Temporarily disconnect the fuel hose from the carb fitting and place the loose end in an empty gasoline can held above fuel pump level. Ask "someone" to engage the starter while you carefully watch for fuel spurting into the can. Be sure the battery is fresh and strong. If fuel flow into the can is minimal or none the fuel pump is faulty.

The older version fuel pump had a replaceable diaphram but it may be best just to install a new pump.

If you are still uncertain reconnect the fuel line from the pump to the carb fitting then remove one fuel hose from a carb and repeat the starter procedure to determine if the carb(s) gets gas.

George Dill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, George! The pump seems to be working quite well. I had incorrect diameter hose from the hard fuel line - to the fuel filter - to the fuel pump. I replaced the line and the fuel filter. ZERO fuel is coming through, however. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
We never entirely agreed on this within the forum, but I don't think its a good idea to have a fuel filter upstream the fuel pump. Especially if that filter may be slightly clogged up.

I would try to move the filter down stream the pump and see what happens. You can start the engine by priming the carbs, or even filling up the reservoirs from a gas can (remove the three screws and fill those up about 1/3-1/2, that will get the engine started and idling for a minute or two to get the fuel pump primed).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
See if the fuel pump will suck from a can of gas sitting by the front wheel. If it will not, it is NO GOOD. If it will, it should suck from the tank UNLESS the line to the tank has a leak in it through which the pump suction can suck air (easier than gasoline).
I have run filters between the tank and pump for many years on both carbureted and fuel injected Volvos and only VERY rarely had a problem with them. In general, keeping dirt out of the pump is a good thing, especially if there is a lot of it or if it is abrasive (which it almost always is). You DO have to watch the filter and change it when it gets dirty.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I run the filters pre-pump and have not had any problems unless the tank is full of crud, and in that case, I'd rather swap out the filter often than have the crud go into the pump.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I have been on Swedespeed for a short while now and finally decided to post. I like that everyone is supportive and not harshly judgmental.

I bought a 1968 122S Wagon in the summer of 2009 and started restoring it last year. All of my progress is documented on my blog: myvolvo.tumblr.com. Understand, the color choice is bold and obviously not true to the original Volvo colors. I like it. :)

I am only 21 and am learning everything about cars as I go along. This has been such an enjoyable experience but I am starting to get in over my head. Haha, go figure.

Right now, I am painting the suspension and installing some iPd poly bushings while the car is being painted.

As far as the engine goes, it was running great when I got the car so all I have done is replaced all of the seals and painted the thing. I would love some advice on what upgrades would provide the most power. I will not be racing the wagon, but a few more HPs would be lovely.

Also, could you refer me to any great Volvo mechanics in the greater Denver area?

Please, please, please give me your honest feedback (as long as it is constructive) and THANK YOU for all of the help!

Zach Silver

Picture Before:
Pre-Soda Blasting

Picture Now:
Being Painted
Hello,

Thank you, as always!

Zach Silver
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?155420-My-122S-Wagon-Restoration

"...As far as the engine goes, it was running great when I got the car so all I have done is replaced all of the seals and painted the thing..."

Has it ran since? Did you install the electronic ignition? Has it ran since then?

It appears that the fuel pump is the same unit that was on the engine when you bought the car.

Further, my guess is that the fuel pump diaphram is failing intermittently causing interrupted fuel flow. Be absolutely certain that the hoses and filters from the tank to the carbs are flowing freely. If so and still no fuel replace the pump with a new unit, correct spacer and two new gaskets.

BUT FIRST! Put everything back together, disconnect the fuel hose at the carbs then crank the engine with the spark plugs removed. If gas comes out the hose reconnect it, crank again then remove both float bowl covers. If both bowls have gas the car should start once the plugs are reinstalled unless the jets are plugged. If one or both bowls are at/near empty the problem may be with the floats.

BTW, your '68 P220 has the B18B engine with the double-hump intake manifold and those dreaded butterfly plates that make the car difficult to start under many conditions. If everything appears in order (spark to all plugs, etc.) try cranking the engine with the gas pedal hard to the floor for about one full minute (with a fresh battery).

George Dill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts