SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 XC90 T5. Replaced fuel pump, fuel regulator and fuel filters all twice. Car starts to stutter when the tank gets about to a 1/3 of a tank of gas left. I'm assuming that this is some kind of vacuum issue. I saw online that it could even be related to the Vapor Canister. The codes i get are a P0089 and a p0087; consistently. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Check the PEM already? It's a 2005. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/xc90-pem-fcu-replacement-tutorial-71534/

Really should get the car read by a Volvo tool regardless, see what the car is reporting as far as the more granular ECM-xxxx codes.

Was the driver side pickup hose returned to its original position on the bottom of the tank when the pump got replaced? See https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/xc90-fuel-pump-replacement-tutorial-70880/ and https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83957&hilit=pickup . OP had an issue with the pickup in the second link, at least that's how it was reported on the resolution.

Codes and partial tank sputtering both at the same time or did one precede the other?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
P0089 is the typical code for a FPS (fuel pressure sensor) issue. It’s generally a fairly easy job.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,364 Posts
P0089 is the typical code for a FPS (fuel pressure sensor) issue. It’s generally a fairly easy job.
That is a "typical" code for the sensor if the car is running fine. With a consistent low fuel tank stutter problem, this is more than just the fuel pressure sensor.

When I have encountered a similar issue, it was usually caused by a broken or blocked vacuum valve not allowing air to return to the tank as gas is used up, and with the building up of vacuum in the tank, as the gas gets lower it would lead to an imploded gas tank.

So, are you able to fill the total number of gallons to a full tank? As the tank reaches half full if you remove the filler gas cap, do you hear a vacuum/sucking air noise? If you start to get closer to 1/3 tank and you remove/re-screw the gas filler cap, will it run fine?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi guys this is also related to bad quality hose rubber mixed with PVC not any more in production from Volvo
and I have problem that petrol also leaking out of tank when I fill full. See last week I removed old snap hose
and placed temporary one as part is ordered already. Of course this can lead to vacuum leak from tank.

If your car is older and never changed this part - if tank is under vacuum (i dont know) here you can open holes. :eek:

If you remember the PCV hose from top of engine to oil collection box the same material was used
and to all petrol cars this hose snap soon. Here is used the same material.

This part you cant find any more but they made new code and new part.

You can spot even from last filling old and new petrol signs on concrete...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sorry the NEW part code is now 9141423 hose 11,04€ + tax in Slovenia.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Tomorrow going to install new hose. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts