SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a question, I'm not into mechanics or something but my friend told me that I need to change the fuel pressure regulator in my 2000 Volvo V40.
I have a problem with a long cranking time and he told me that would be it. I went to the Volvo service and they told me the same thing. The fuel pressure regulator cost 73$ and Volvo service wants for it $319 with labor.

And the question is, can I do it by myself and where is it located.

Thanks

Art

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: Fuel pressure regulator (elpresspl)

The fuel pressure regulator on our 2000 S40 is located in the fuel rail with all the injectors, and comes off as a unit. The Haynes manual rates the labor effort and knowledge to get to this and repair it as "FAIRLY DIFFICULT". Thus the high labor rate for the repairs/the dealer!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Fuel pressure regulator (elpresspl)

The sad part about this is that I've been having this same problem with my car ever since I've owned it and our dealer says it's a normal characteristic of the V40 and that there's nothing they could do.

Any idea if this was covered in a TSB?

Mine's a 2002 V40. What's yours and how did your dealership diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: (excites40)

i had the same problem with my car, so i bought a new fuel pressure regulator from genuine volvo for 80 bucks, and it took me about 15 minutes to get the old one out and the new one in. its really easy, and now my car starts perfect every time

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (excites40)

Well my english and knowing how the parts exactly are called is poor so sorry for the mistakes.

First you have to remove the plastic engine cover and look for it. It has blue connectors on one side. When you see the fuel injector rail on the left hand side of it there is a valve to lower the fuel pressure so it won't blow right into your face, and the fuel pressure regulator is connecter to the right hand side of the fuel injector rail. You just take it out (there is one screw to unsrew it) and then you can take it out of the rail and put a new one. If somebody needs I can take a picture of my old one so you won't have problems with finding it.

Artur

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2002 V40 which cranks forever it seems after sitting for awhile or cold engine, but starts fine when hot. When it does finally start after sitting it misfires badly for a few seconds. Is the the same symtoms you had with a bad fuel pressure regulator?

Thanksin advance,
Charles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: (CA V40)

I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Volvo S40!
I am having a similar problem to the one discussed here. I am always looking to save money and am knowledgeable about working on cars. Did anyone have a good experience trying to change the fuel pressure regulator and how would i go about doing so.

Thanks,

Taylor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

I have a question, I'm not into mechanics or something but my friend told me that I need to change the fuel pressure regulator in my 2000 Volvo V40.
I have a problem with a long cranking time and he told me that would be it. I went to the Volvo service and they told me the same thing. The fuel pressure regulator cost 73$ and Volvo service wants for it $319 with labor.

And the question is, can I do it by myself and where is it located.

Thanks

Art
I need to replace this part and the cheapest I can find it for is $115.00 USD do you recall the place you got yours (link)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts