SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if my '08 C70 mileage is down from what it should be. I recently took a 180 mile freeway trip. I traveled at around 70-75 mph. Fuel mileage was 21.6. The advertised highway mileage is 28 mpg. There isn't much that can be done as far as tune up with modern cars. Am I missing something as far as tune is concerned?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My average is usually around 22 mpg give or take .5 around town which is a pretty even blend of city and highway. When I can lock it in at 70 on the cruise control I wouldn't be surprised to see 29-33 depending on terrain.

eta: I have noticed a more prominent drop above 70 and after 75 it gets even more noticeable.

2009 C70 year round daily

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a 2008 V70 for 12 years and 112,000 miles. On extended trips of mostly interstate driving (70-75mph) we would get about 28.5 to 29.5 with just the two of us in the car plus some luggage. We still have my wife's 2013 XC70 with 86K and it gets almost identical economy, although slightly better. Of course in pure city it drops way down. I tend to have a lighter foot and coast a lot though as compared to her.

I assume you've done all the scheduled mtce. - plugs, oil, air filter, etc? One difference with my '08 V70 is that beginning with my first oil change I began using full synthetic which I purchased myself and brought to the dealer. Some suggest this may have been a mileage benefit.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm wondering if my '08 C70 mileage is down from what it should be. I recently took a 180 mile freeway trip. I traveled at around 70-75 mph. Fuel mileage was 21.6. The advertised highway mileage is 28 mpg. There isn't much that can be done as far as tune up with modern cars. Am I missing something as far as tune is concerned?
Check your air filter(s).
Our four C70s have all averaged low-mid 20s mpg in spirited normal driving; usually 30+ on the highway when I drive(less when DW leadfoots it ;) ).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Also, do you normally run Top Tier fuel???

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My c30 gets about 12.5-14 if I’m lucky. (Around town) It’s highly modified which is why I ask about the “tune”. HWY about 20. And yes I have a very heavy foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My c30 gets about 12.5-14 if I’m lucky. (Around town) It’s highly modified which is why I ask about the “tune”. HWY about 20. And yes I have a very heavy foot.

Wow! Shades of the '70 GTO from my high school days!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I second the Top Tier Fuel suggestion. And while the stock tune is capable of handling 87 octane, 91 or better is definitely ideal.

2009 C70 year round daily

·
Registered
40 Posts
I usually average 28.5 to 31.5 mpg, best of 33 mpg.
I always use top tier fuel ( Chevron or Shell my favs), and always use premium.
MY 2013 with Polestar, 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Mine shows 18.0 average on the trip computer. And 17.4mpg if I do the math between the fill up gallons and the odometer. City driving only.

I haven’t taken it out in a road trip yet. But every time I get on the freeway, the mileage improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is your cart tuned?

Volvo only uses regular oil at their oil changes. Why don't they us synthetic? There must be a reason. I replaced the air filter with a cold air style. I replaced the plugs and checked the coils. Over the years I have tried using premium fuels compared to regular and never really found any appreciable mileage or true power increase. What else is there to a tune up? Everything else is controlled by the computer.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Last part of your OP was “I’m I missing something as far as the tune is concerned”. So I asked if the vehicle was tuned, because that would make a difference.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Did you mean an added power tune? If so, I have no idea but I doubt it. I've purchased this car in late July.
Yes, he meant if your vehicle computer has been modified to make more power. Also known as ECU Tune, Chip Tuning, Remap, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts