SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to work on tuning my SU carbs and found a leak in the fuel line leading to the carbs. The line is a mix of steel and rubber tubing. I assume that's because it's running across the front of the engine. My question is, what is original (pics in the manual show something like a rubber hose), and what is best to use now.

Thanks for the help!

Carl

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Model? Year? Engine type?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Generally that will be a plain rubber pipe, which will run from the fuel pump, up behind the thermostat housing, and then curve back to the front carb bowl. Some engines will have a metal clip under the rear housing bolt to hold the line, many don't. Fine either way.

Earlier cars had braided lines with banjo bolts, but not B18.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The original fuel line was mostly metal - it connected to the old style glass topped fuel pump with a threaded fitting and to the forward carb with a short length of rubber line. Few cars still have this, but it sounds like this one does.

The leak is not a result of the routing of the fuel line. It's more likely just age.

If it's leaking at a junction between the rubber and the metal, you just have to replace the rubber section. If the metal tube is damaged, then you'll have to replace that. The simplest way (and the way that many owners before now have gone about it) is to replace both the old combination of metal and old rubber with an all new rubber piece.

The material isn't important in terms of function. But if the metal hasn't failed, I'd keep that and just replace the rubber bits.

Cameron
Portland

1 - 5 of 5 Posts