SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,<br>I have a problem with my fuel level gauge. When it gets to 1/2 tank to around 1/4 tank, it intermittently reads empty.<p>So- I took apart the backseat and got into the fuel tank (filthy down there!), found the problem...<br>(burned contacts on the sending unit, picture removed)

Should I take apart the sending unit in the trunk as well? Tasca calls #9 the "fuel level sensor"... If I replace the fuel sending unit, will that fix my fuel gauge problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i done my replacement last year and yes this should solved your problem for good...<p>another thing to caution when re install the fuel pump assembly back in tank make sure the cable that connected to item#3 are away from the floater..otherwise it will effected the measurement as well..

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: Fuel Level Sender (Skot53)

Wasn't or isn't there a recent TNN on this very issue for 2004's??<br>

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Fuel Level Sender (Short Circuit)

You may be thinking of the fuel pump TNN... I got a letter in the mail for that one, but my car has already been fixed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: Fuel Level Sender (Skot53)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Skot53</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,<br>I have a problem with my fuel level gauge. When it gets to 1/2 tank to around 1/4 tank, it intermittently reads empty.<p>So- I took apart the backseat and got into the fuel tank (filthy down there!), found the problem... </TD></TR></TABLE><p>So what is the problem? Does the photo show something obviously wrong/broken?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Re: Fuel Level Sender (jclough)

The electrical contacts are burned on the level sensor so bad that it isn't making a good connection anymore.

update not worth bumping:

Items Ordered:
Item: Fuel gauge sending unit, s60, left, w/r model 2004 - 2007
Price: $70.31
Tax: $0.00
Qty: 1
Total: $70.31

Another update not worth bumping:
The problem still exists after the fuel level sender installation, but it doesn't seem as severe. I think it may be just the nature of the car. It seems to fluctuate due to the style of driving. Example: Driving calmly on the freeway at 55MPH, the needle stays normal, proportionate to the amount of fuel actually in the car.

Drive in heavy traffic, or drive aggressively, the needle reads conservatively, indicating less fuel than the tank actually has.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Scot53, quick question. It seems in the diagram that the sender unit is separate from the fuel pump, is that the case? I am asking because I just took my 04 R in for the fuel pump recall and they messed up the wiring for the sender unit. They say it was worn out and fell apart on its own when they were taking it out, and it is not their responsibility, since they HAD to touch that part to replace the fuel pump. Am I just being paranoid or are they giving me a bunch of bull? Because if they are separate, they shouldn't have been touching my sender unit at all. My gauge hasn't worked after they "fixed" my fuel pump... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have this issue too, and got a CEM code "CEM-4A38 Fuel Level Sensor Short Circuit to Ground". If replacing the fuel level sensor doesn't fix it, what is the problem?

Mine will just randomly drop to E, and many times restarting the car will bring it back up.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
If anyone has a solution to this let me know. I am currently working on several cars with similar issues. I have a 99 S80 T6 and a 2005 S60 that both of their fuel gauges are not working correctly. The S60 believes it has a full tank all the time and the S80 never registers a full tank.

The S60 I am dropping the tank now (It's a California emissions car, damn their green-ness), and the S80 I have been all over. I've replaced the fuel level sensor even, and still no good. It acts as if something is restricting the float when it's in the car, but if the sending unit is out of the tank everything works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I have checked that, but it's impossible to see exactly what is going on inside the tank when the sending unit is in place. I am pulling the unit again to make sure, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered similar issues.

Update on the S60 - the appears to be an actual fault in the instrument cluster. We are making inquiries on whether or not the instrument clusters can be repaired.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are 2 fuel level sensors. One connected to the pump assy and one on the other side of tank. the level sensor by fuel pump can be replaced seperately and is usually the source of faulty readings below half a tank.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Yes, I know there are two. Currently on the low end they read correctly, but it wont go to the high end. Oddly enough, originally the levels were reading high and we ran out of gas with a quarter tank showing in the cluster. I changed out both sensors and then with the tank empty the cluster still ready high. With Modis both sides read roughly a gallon-and-a-half more more than was physically in the tank.

I physically modified both sensors so that the arm on the float would drop lower to read the correct amount in the tank. All was well and good until I filled the tank. Then the level would not go above 3/4 tank. Today I swapped the passenger side float and immediately Modis started registering more fuel than was in the tank again (one and a half) for that side. Now here's my big question at the moment is, why? The S80 has larger gas tank 21.1 gallons vs. for example the S60's 18.5 gallons. But the number for the level sensor is a universal fit to all of the models Volvo produced from 99 up to 05 or so. Perhaps if the gas tank is larger because of the height of the tank and perhaps that's where the problem is? The level sensors I have swapped out I don't know what model they came out of, but that's the only thing I have except for a fault in the instrument cluster.

I just got Vida online last night, so perhaps I would try reprogramming the cluster...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have this issue too, and got a CEM code "CEM-4A38 Fuel Level Sensor Short Circuit to Ground". If replacing the fuel level sensor doesn't fix it, what is the problem?

Mine will just randomly drop to E, and many times restarting the car will bring it back up.

I took my 2006 V70R in for service on the fuel gauge problem. Mine would just drop to Zero and no miles to empty would be displayed. If I pulled over and turned the car off it would function again. The dealer said I need a fuel pump unit for ........$800.00 to fix it. They also said there was a code for "Shorted sending unit on fuel pump side "

What parts do I need ? If a fuel pump IS needed is there a upgrade pump recommendation ? BTW the car ran fine all the way up to 156 and had great passing power this last trip to Vegas.

Also had a problem with the rear cargo light not working. They said it was a shorted out LED ( did a full EST LED kit ). What is the proper part number for the rear cargo LED ?

Ron

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I took my 2006 V70R in for service on the fuel gauge problem. Mine would just drop to Zero and no miles to empty would be displayed. If I pulled over and turned the car off it would function again. The dealer said I need a fuel pump unit for ........$800.00 to fix it. They also said there was a code for "Shorted sending unit on fuel pump side "

What parts do I need ?

Ron
When your fuel gauge shows empty and DIM shows "---- to empty" is your orange low fuel light on?
I have similar symptom but the orange low fuel light does NOT come on.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
When your fuel gauge shows empty and DIM shows "---- to empty" is your orange low fuel light on?
I have similar symptom but the orange low fuel light does NOT come on.
+1. Mine has intermittent "empty gauge"+ "-- to empty" and no orange light. Usually happens with full tank soon after filling it up and stay "empty" for a half a actual tank (about 160 miles)..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
No the orange empty warning does not come on. It happens at all level . I was just wondering if I could just replace the sensor instead of the whole fuel pump. But if it needs to be replace I wanted to go with the best pump I could.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Using VIDA to look at CEM-Fuel Level Left and Right, I see a significant difference between L and R level sensors. Seems my Right sensor matches what I see at the gauge but my Left sensor is always showing way less fuel.
Anyone else check L and R level with VIDA?

L showing 6.5L, Right showing 22.5L:

L showing 9.5L, Right show 16L. Looking at the graph there is a period (while I was stopped) that Left showed 0L. This often happens while stopped (L shows 0).

Does this indicate I have a failed Left Fuel Level Sensor?

LTA

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had this exact problem with the gauge dropping to zero, especially after the car heated up or when the weather was warm. I replaced my driver's side fuel level sender, part number 8683142 ($72 from Tasca), and it solved the issue.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Nevermind. The behavior just took a couple days off, the sender did not fix it. Anyone solve this yet?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts