SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad leak coming from the top of my gas tank I lowered the tank a little bit to see if any hoses were disconnected but seemed good, so with the gas tank hanging a little I cranked it and nothing NO LEAK... when I put every thing back on, same problem I don't wanna drop the whole gas tank, any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
505 Posts
Filler neck?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Either the fuel pump, there's a plastic fitting that cracks and leaks where the fuel line out is connected. Or there are some vent hoses that crack and leak, usually when filling the tank full. A simple smoke test will find the leaks in the vent hoses. You can remove the pump access panel under the right rear seat to see if the pump is leaking. And with the pump access panel removed you may be able to see a cracked vent hose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Either the fuel pump, there's a plastic fitting that cracks and leaks where the fuel line out is connected. Or there are some vent hoses that crack and leak, usually when filling the tank full. A simple smoke test will find the leaks in the vent hoses. You can remove the pump access panel under the right rear seat to see if the pump is leaking. And with the pump access panel removed you may be able to see a cracked vent hose.
Okay thanks I will check that out when I get to the shop

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah OP would recommend pulling the rear seat and having a look at the fuel out line. Mine was bad when I first got my S60. I think we used some epoxy or replaced the seal, I can't really remember. I would recommend actually replacing the part since I can still smell fuel from time to time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OP states leak coming from top. But no indication of fuel puddle on ground. Like the others, i suffered the cracked fuel pump cover. Not having the $ to replace at the time, i disconnected the pump, dried and cleaned it thoroughly. I then filled the area, which is about the size and shape 1/4 shot glass with a solvent resistant epoxy.
Solved the fuel smell and leak. Been like that for 16 months.
My $5 fix.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OP states leak coming from top. But no indication of fuel puddle on ground. Like the others, i suffered the cracked fuel pump cover. Not having the $ to replace at the time, i disconnected the pump, dried and cleaned it thoroughly. I then filled the area, which is about the size and shape 1/4 shot glass with a solvent resistant epoxy.
Solved the fuel smell and leak. Been like that for 16 months.
My $5 fix.
You should be fine for a while, I think it's been close to 3 years when we did that and I only ever smell fuel when I completely fill the tank, which I rarely do anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do I need to buy the special fuel pump removal pump or is there a certain tool that can get the job done?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do I need to buy the special fuel pump removal pump or is there a certain tool that can get the job done?
Nope. Pretty sure you just need a screwdriver and some pliers to get the top cover thing off of the tank.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
There is (was) a voluntary service bulletin for an extended time frame regarding the fuel pump gasket degrading prematurely and leaking on certain models, my 01 s60 in California was involved, had a huge puddle of gas on top of the tank and leaked onto the ground, they hauled the car on a flatbed to the dealer and replaced it.
I don't know what year your car is, but you could always talk to your local dealer and run the VIN to check?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts