SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day when the gas tank got below 1/2 a tank in my 98V70R the car sputtered out and I pulled over and turned the car off.- Felt exactly like running out of gas. The car accelerates great at full throttle when there is more than 1/2 a tank. The previous owner replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and the problem still continued. Has anyone had this happen or heard of this happening? Before I replace the fuel pump I thought I would check with the forum
Thanks

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Try a fuel filter first...cause its cheaper than a fp.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sure you were at 1/2 and not empty? The R AWD needs the sender on the driver side and the pump on the passenger side. There have been instances when the sending unit dies (wires rot at the connection on top) that the gage doesn't work and if the pump side fails (though pump can still work, just the sender fails) that the gage can read incorrectly and not read 0.

You can check from the underside by removing the plastic panel and use a flashlight to see if the wires are in tact. Other than that, check other electrical connections like the relay.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ when the tank reads 12 gallons I can only fit around 6 more at the pump before the pump cuts off. I will look into the wires and make sure the relay is in good shape.
I guess I don't fully understand how this fuel tank system works so I will have to have someone more educated take a look at it. Hopefully its not the fuel pump due to cost but at this point I would just like to get it taken care of whatever the issue is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts