SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After replacing O-rings, was installing rail and the little brown disc broke off, some of it went into the intake manifold.

Think it'd be safe to drive until I get new injector? With new o-rings, I don't think any fuel would leak. Not sure what the brown disc is for.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I would not drive it if its in the intake manifold. It will get sucked into your motor and maybe even cause it to lock up. Not a expert but I would not risk my motor. Have you tried to suck it out with a vacume just empty it first so you know if you got it out.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Get 5 seal kits. The piece missing slips on injector as an o ring seal retainer.
Bosch type III injector seal sets sare available several places including Ebay.
Probably available at a local chain auto store.
How big are the lost pieces?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've ordered injector rebuild kits from these guys before. Not for my R, but they should have them too. Their kits include upper and lower o-rings and the pintle cap which you broke.
http://bostechfuel.com/

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought and shipped; should be here Thursday. Called everywhere local, none carried or knew anyone who carried seal sets. Jacksonville stinks like that. I miss living near Charlotte, NC where you are surrounded by car guys.

The lost pieces are 75% of the retainer ring. Being it was that brittle, I'm thinking it should shatter under any pressure at all. Unfortunately it has slipped past the hole into the valve area just past the manifold. The only way to get it is remove the manifold. Grrr.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Bought and shipped; should be here Thursday. Called everywhere local, none carried or knew anyone who carried seal sets. Jacksonville stinks like that. I miss living near Charlotte, NC where you are surrounded by car guys.

The lost pieces are 75% of the retainer ring. Being it was that brittle, I'm thinking it should shatter under any pressure at all. Unfortunately it has slipped past the hole into the valve area just past the manifold. The only way to get it is remove the manifold. Grrr.
I would not want to have to endure that amount of pucker factor when first starting after replacement parts arrive, good luck.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
On type III it is not the pintle cap like it is on round earlier style with exposed pintle. Type III is the disc face type with the plastic flange washer. You definitely do not want a pintle cap on a type III.

If the washer is brittle then it will crush and be gone out the exhaust and will burn down in the catalyst.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Being that the bits that fell are of a brittle plastic, they won't pose an issue for the mechanical parts. I don't see any issue with burning them through. Most likely, they'll get covered in gas, ignite, melt, and smolder into dust. Some bits may even just get sucked straight out the exhaust. I'd only be concerned if they were of a material with a high melting point and abrasive.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On type III it is not the pintle cap like it is on round earlier style with exposed pintle. Type III is the disc face type with the plastic flange washer.
I'm no expert but I think there are various styles but they are all called pintle caps. I've never seen the disc style called anything else.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be running a section of vacuum tubing down the injector hole and vacuuming out. If it picks it up, great.

BTW, Turned out the issue wasn't the pipe coupler after all, as you see it isn't broken. The o-ring behind it had just gotten old enough to start leaking. So dealer wanted $650 to replace $0.13 part that is quickly accessible on top of engine, heh. Thinking I should retire as programmer and go into a life of crime, a.k.a. auto service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get this resolved? I have the exact same issue with one of the injectors on my 06 XC70. Tried the dealer & a couple chain parts places, can't find the plastic disk without replacing the whole injector. If you found a source I'd love to hear it where you ordered from.

·
Registered
919 Posts
So dealer wanted $650 to replace $0.13 part that is quickly accessible on top of engine, heh. Thinking I should retire as programmer and go into a life of crime, a.k.a. auto service.

Lol love this- totally true

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
One of those broke off when I was doing my PCV, I just didn't put a new one on. Haven't had any issues. I also got it out of my intake before I reinstalled...

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Did u ever get it out? or just start her up? I know someone who had a problem like this and just ran it and 2 months later the motor locked up is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Did u ever get it out? or just start her up? I know someone who had a problem like this and just ran it and 2 months later the motor locked up is why I'm asking.
There's no way a small piece of plastic would lock up a motor. It would melt, and disintegrate before it could cause any engine damage. I mentioned that I got it out, but I also had the intake manifold off so it was easy.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
It was not a R and not sure if it was plastic his motor locked up piston dug into wall or something. I don't see the guy anymore or I would ask him.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It was not a R and not sure if it was plastic his motor locked up piston dug into wall or something. I don't see the guy anymore or I would ask him.
If it were metal it's a different story, but there's no plastic on this earth that can withstand 2K degrees F. Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First tried to vacuum it out; didn't find it, so I just started it up and there were no problems, so far. Pretty sure if they were brittle enough to break under insertion pressure, the remains probably got shattered, burned, and sent out the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts