SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
3rd time might be the charm.....good luck with the "extrusions". It sounds like a horrible idea to me but enjoy your adventure and please keep us all informed as to the TOTAL COSTS and ALL of the add on equipment necessary. Fuel pump, fuel piping, tank modifications, computer, etc.
Might be easier to install a complete Volvo injection system found in a salvage yard.

ENJOY

jedd

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That is a lot of coin considering it doesn't come with injectors or their wiring harnesses. And as jedd mentioned, what computer would you run it with? Megasquirt? That's roughly $400 for the pre-built system, then you have to tune it. Been there, done that with MS for FI, it's a very time-consuming process to tune it properly.

Curious...what's the rationale for this? Carbs shot? Just going for something different? Need MOAR fuel for MOAR POWAH?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a lot of coin considering it doesn't come with injectors or their wiring harnesses. And as jedd mentioned, what computer would you run it with? Megasquirt? That's roughly $400 for the pre-built system, then you have to tune it. Been there, done that with MS for FI, it's a very time-consuming process to tune it properly.

Curious...what's the rationale for this? Carbs shot? Just going for something different? Need MOAR fuel for MOAR POWAH?
Just looking for a challenge I suppose. Thanks for the comments
dean

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I hear ya. You'd definitely have something original. But from experience, with setting up a FI system from scratch on my race-build 245, it was a pretty costly setup, both in time and money.

I will say, the SU replacement pieces on that kit you posted look really interesting. I'd like to see that up-close.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I thought long and hard about using the same units on a B20 in my 142, eventually came to the conclusion it would not work. I am no expert on the subject but my paper design had problems. I do not question the quality of the extruded throttle bodies but I do question using them with the SU manifold. Each TB would supply fuel to cylinders with uneven intake timing, 1-3-4-2. The first throttle body would have 3/4 of a cycle to supply fuel to cylinder 2 and only 1/4 of a cycle to cylinder 1, same deal for cylinders 4 and 2. To get even fuel distribution to each cylinder would require a Cam Position sensor, sequential timing and an injector that could supply all the fuel needed within the intake stroke. This could require some really creative software and wiring. A carb can get away with it as it only draws fuel when it pulls air/vacuum. I think you would be better off with their individual throttle bodies, more money of course.

I have acquired a B20 E head for my engine, I plan on mounting injectors and using a gutted set of DCOE carbs to act as throttle bodies with megasquirt controlling things. Should give me modern control with a more period correct look, not to mention that DCOE sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mario
We were all new at this at some point, many times some investigation on Google (as you said), eBay, or at times even your local phone book will reveal parts outlets that you were not aware of. Also, unless you are attempting to build an exact replica of what came out of the factory you will find other parts that fit perfectly and perform as well or BETTER than what came with your car new. It really is a lot of fun, not something to wear you down, keep an open mind and think.......
I believe you'll find these cars are easy to work on and enjoyable to own and drive.

Have a great day!!!

Get fast success in ccnp exam code and testking exam questions by using security plus certification.We also offer ccna exam dumps - pass-4-sure and www.kumc.edu for your prep of Florida National University.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts