SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have been greatly enjoying our brand new XC60 T5 Platinum. I do have a question about the fuel gauge. I have filled the tank twice now; each time, when I have filled it, I started out with the gauge reading two bars, or roughly a quarter full. However, in each instance, the gas pump (different pump each time) shut off after pumping only ten gallons, which means the tank was closer to half full. Moreover, even with the tank supposedly full (per the gas pump clicking off), only seven of what appear to be eight potential bars are lit up on the gauge.

Is this normal behavior for the fuel gauge? We are going on a pretty long road trip this weekend and it would be rather annoying to stop for gas every 200 miles because the gauge is telling us that the tank is nearly empty when that is nowhere close to bring the case. Obviously, this is better than telling me that it's full when it's empty, but it's still annoying.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,806 Posts
It seems you have an issue with the information being transmitted to the gauge. Might be worth having the dealer check it out.

In the meantime, if you switch to Trip 2, the miles to empty will display in lower right gauge above the clock. At least you will have an idea when you should fill up until you can get the gauge problem resolved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will try that. I do wonder if the "range remaining" is accurate if the fuel gauge is not; I would think they'd be going off the same reading. I will keep an eye on it and see if it makes sense, and will take it to the dealer when I have some time. Meanwhile, I guess it's quite unlikely that I will run out of gas, so at least that's a good thing!

·
Registered
2017 XC60 T6 AWD Polstar Engineered
124 Posts
We had a similar problem at about 24,000 miles. it was the sender unit in the gas tank. The dealer replaced the gas tank under warranty.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I keep meticulous notes on our fuel usage/mpg.

When fuel indicator shows two bars, it takes an average of 14.5 gallons to indicate full (all segments lit).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks, I will try that. I do wonder if the "range remaining" is accurate if the fuel gauge is not; I would think they'd be going off the same reading. I will keep an eye on it and see if it makes sense, and will take it to the dealer when I have some time. Meanwhile, I guess it's quite unlikely that I will run out of gas, so at least that's a good thing!
It is pretty accurate, but our dealership warned us not to really trust it until we get past 5,000KM's... the more you drive the more you fill up the more accurate it becomes.

But it does adjust depending on how you are driving. During a recent heavy snowfall (awd was engaging) I started a 12 KM trip with 180KM worth of fuel left, when I got home I was down to 90KM's of fuel having only traveled 12KM. However, this was the firs time in 9-10 months the vehicle had been driven in heavy snowfall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.