SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel flap won't unlock yesterday after unlocking the car when I went to fill the tank up. Good thing I encountered a similar issue with my old S80 so after digging in through the trim at the back I managed to access the motor the pulled the pin back.

I tried searching but can't find anyone else posting the same problem with their XC90.

Is the motor repairable?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Had this happen on my first S60. When you get it open the manual way like you described, open the fuel door. Next to the filler, there should be two T25 screws. Unscrew them, go back inside behind the trim and disconnect/remove the motor.

I replaced mine with a junkyard unit (They're the same for every P2) for $30.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Remove the motor and disassemble it. I've heard of people finding that the fuel door won't unlock but after a good cleaning and lubing of the gears, it worked fine. If that doesn't work, like esmith813 said, replacements aren't hard to find or expensive. I may have one laying around if needed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the motor and disassemble it. I've heard of people finding that the fuel door won't unlock but after a good cleaning and lubing of the gears, it worked fine. If that doesn't work, like esmith813 said, replacements aren't hard to find or expensive. I may have one laying around if needed.
Thanks for the input folks. I've noticed that the motor is working back again and the door locking unlocking as it should.

I'll take it out this weekend and have a go at cleaning it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine also stuck in the locked position which was unfortunate as I was at a small filling station in the Highlands of Scotland with my caravan hooked on the back and taking up all of the forecourt.

I doubt you'll find any muck in the motor unit when you strip it down. There's a video on youtube showing the procedure and the chap packed his with vaseline.
I decided as the unit wasn't originally built up with any grease apart for a tiny amount where the black gear cog shaft goes through the casing then I would apply a light coat of silicon grease applied with a small artist paintbrush to any surfaces that moved together apart from the gear cogs. It helped for a couple of days then jammed again, so I stripped it down to try and find the problem. I think as the gears get worn they cause the pin move too far forward causing the pin to jam.

I fitted a very small O-ring to the end of the spiral gear shaft to stop the pin from travelling too far forward. So far it's still working so I may have sorted mine out...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt you'll find any muck in the motor unit when you strip it down.
You are quite right. It was pretty clean inside the motor unit.

I think the issue with mine was that the rubber grommet had disintegrated and making the shaft sticky. When I tried to pull the rubber grommet out it disintegrated into small pieces and unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it when before I killed it.

The rubber grommet was at the end of the shaft just at the opening. I guess the grommet is there to prevent water splashing inside.

The red circle is where the grommet was located.

1wewAqQ.jpg

I looked in VIDA and that grommet is not sold separately. I'm guessing most of the cars at this age, the grommet would either by non-existent or only pieces of it is still there. Any one having any issues with water seeping in without this grommet?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a picture of a new motor unit clearly showing the grommet I was talking about.

LUl5c73.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fitted a very small O-ring to the end of the spiral gear shaft to stop the pin from travelling too far forward. So far it's still working so I may have sorted mine out...
Hi,

How's the repair holding up? The motor unit still working fine?

Mine has stopped working again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts