SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the S60, there are two different fuel filters available: one is 3 1/4" (p/n 30620512) and the other is 5 1/4" (p/n 30817997) in length. There seems to be plenty of room for either and both have the same connections, but the 5 1/4" filter is $22 cheaper, at IPD.

I'd rather not pay $22 more just because I arbitrarily have one filter, rather than the other.

Has anyone already installed a cheaper 5 1/4" filter in place of the more expensive 3 1/4" that came on their car?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
I didn't, but I kinda wanted to. Bigger and cheaper?! How can you go wrong!

Maybe it would burn-out the fuel pump somehow? Or maybe it's not the right diameter???
Regardless, it's not that regular of a maintenance item so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to cheap-out on it...

And, word to the wise: make sure you actually release the pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter...
(Apparently you need to twist the knob at the end of the fuel rail?)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »

And, word to the wise: make sure you actually release the pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter...
(Apparently you need to twist the knob at the end of the fuel rail?)

From memory the valve was just like a tyre air valve so you have to press down the inside pin. I did this before removing the fuel filter and nothing even happened!?

Then went on to remove the fuel filter and there was no existing pressure in the system.

So I am not sure what happened to my fuel pressure!? The car drives fine anyway!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
Re: (SML)

Quote, originally posted by SML »
Then went on to remove the fuel filter and there was no existing pressure in the system.

So I am not sure what happened to my fuel pressure!? The car drives fine anyway!
When I did the fuel filter in my 850, I didn't release the pressure, but there wasn't any to begin with. When I did this car, I didn't release the pressure, and it sprayed fuel everywhere!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
i just ordered the short one from ipd...when replacing do you need the fuel line tools that are widely used on new cars?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
What are fuel line tools?

There are just little push buttons on the hose endpieces stuck on the filter. Push 'em in and pull 'em off!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Re: (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »
What are fuel line tools?

There are just little push buttons on the hose endpieces stuck on the filter. Push 'em in and pull 'em off!

Thanks!

i was referring to these,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.