SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 159500 mile 05 VR had a intermitent surge issue when i would floor it to accelerate. Got fuel pressure sensor CEL, so changed that out with a new one from dealer. changed plugs and found the spark plug hole filled with oil from a leaky oil cap gasket. fixed that. after all those fixes car got a little better but problem still existed. even though i did order the fuel filter back when i first got the car, i placed it on the shelf and forgot about it until yesteday when i was looking for some tire shine and found the fuel filter.

From the crud and crap on it, it looks to be stock or changed 200 years ago.
Pulled it off and stole one of my dogs peewee pads and gave the filter a shake and this is what came out

the little black close ups are hard rock like particles that are firm yet disinergrated when i squeesed it in my fingers

back inand goods as new, car seemed to idle better and smoother.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Did you go OEM or something else? I have 105K an i don't mine has ever been changed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got a mann filter from fcp, cheap filter. been using the bosche ones for a few years and they so easy to change, dont even have to jack up the car. one 10 or 12mm socket. change it, cant hurt right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks burg, good idea! I'll get mine changed this month since isem to experience similar symptom under heavy boost in 3rd and mine is still original.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks burg, good idea! I'll get mine changed this month since isem to experience similar symptom under heavy boost in 3rd and mine is still original.
I've got the same issue and I've "Only" got 45k on my 06'. Looks like I'll just replace all my filters and a fluid flush in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You all should do it. Probably one of the easiest fuel filters to replace. Remove that bracket holding the fuel filter. Remove the quick disconnects, fuel will come out in similar fashion to the oil in There Will Be Blood, make sure to have something to catch excess fuel. Pop the new filter on the quick disconnects, make sure the arrow on the filter is pointing to the front if the car. Connect to the bracket and reattach to the car....done. I recommend getting the fuel filter from IPD because they are cool and make sure you buy OEM.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I changed my fuel filter last year and also noticed that the car ran smoother overall.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I changed mine in about 4 minutes, it was really easy.

The most annoying thing was the dealership wanting to charge me $59 for a fuel filter they later sold me for $39 once I showed them the same item at FCP and IPD. I even used their free wifi to pull up the prices!

Oh and saving yourself an hour of shop-charged labor is nice too, it's, at most, a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Sweet! Added it too my list :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ordered. Been about a year. After all the recent maintenance, still having sputtering (wet farting) when flooring it after shifting into 2nd, during a turn from stop. Was thinking fuel filter earlier today when it happened. Injectors are clean, FPS is new, TB is freshly cleaned, PCV is new, all the related air and water pipes are new, some vacuum hoses replaced. Running out of easy things to fix.

·
Registered
157 Posts
****, you guys don't have good fuel quality over there. but also one more important thing to why change the filter, as the fuel filter get more dirty, the fuel pump work harder and harder, and if you run long enough with very dirty filter the fuel pump will fail, a newfuel filter is a cheap insurance for the fuel pump :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts