SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I did a quick search but didn't yield results. I put a gas can into the fuel fill neck the other day. It got hung up on the little aluminum flap that sits below the plastic opening. I bent it back into place, but I am not sure it is "sealing" right like it should. What does yours look like?

That all said and done, what is the purpose of it.... I imagine it is to prevent siphoning is my only guess, but can anyone shed some light on the purpose and if I should work towards getting that replaced? I can't find a similar flap on any of my other cars, so I am guessing it is not a critical operation item.
Insight on this please?

·
Registered
453 Posts
This?

I think it helps prevent debris from entering the tank and also helps prevent gas vapor from exiting the tank when the cap is off. The gas cap is air tight though, so when the gas cap is on, the neck flap doesn't serve any purpose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly that. mine is now recessed and kind of bent, it doesn't sit flush back up against the plastic housing.
If it is just a debris deflector, I think my stupid level is low enough that it won't be an issue. Anyone have a scientific reason otherwise for it to be there?
That was my point as well, the gas cap is the vapor sealing portion of the system, the aluminum flap could not be used for vapors (i had to think it through for a minute when it all happened). Then it got me to thinking about well what was its purpose and was I really screwing up life by bending it out of whack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts