SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, need advice from the forum on what I can tweak to make my S40 T5 2006 more fuel efficient? Just performed a service, oil filter, change of oil and changed the spark plugs. Since then my fuel efficiency has noticeably become worse just under 450km per full tank. The car has under 162000km on the clock. Advice please?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
What fuel efficiency were you getting before the service? Is the 450km what you actually got for the tank or is that just what the dash info screen says?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What fuel efficiency were you getting before the service? Is the 450km what you actually got for the tank or is that just what the dash info screen says?
Just over 500km's with something left over on the tank. Yes in that region 450 if I'm lucky. These are all town driving of course.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Tips for saving gas:

Accelerate slowly and smoothly.
If you have a manual, shift sooner and run lower rpms.

What is your average speed?

My fuel economy (T5 manual FWD) has jumped from ~23 mpg to around 27. Mostly because I have been working late and avoiding rush hour stop and go traffic. So my average speed is up from 25 mph to 32. And also, I'm just not driving the car as hard as when I bought it.

I think our cars can do OK on the highway at a steady speed. But they are pretty bad in town, especially if you are doing a lot of hard acceleration.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tips for saving gas:

Accelerate slowly and smoothly.
If you have a manual, shift sooner and run lower rpms.

What is your average speed?

My fuel economy (T5 manual FWD) has jumped from ~23 mpg to around 27. Mostly because I have been working late and avoiding rush hour stop and go traffic. So my average speed is up from 25 mph to 32. And also, I'm just not driving the car as hard as when I bought it.

I think our cars can do OK on the highway at a steady speed. But they are pretty bad in town, especially if you are doing a lot of hard acceleration.
Driving behaviour and time of day is not really the issue but it is noted. I'm looking at any mechanical enhancements that may assist with better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
510 Posts
I hover around 10.2L/100 with a bunch of short drives.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
510 Posts
If you want fuel economy you came to the wrong car. You could sell it for a 2.4i but they aren't a whole bunch better.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As far as mechanical fixes, there is probably a small benefit from running low rolling resistance "eco" tires and higher tire pressures. The spash guard should be installed under the car for good under-car aero. Any check engine lights?

Also light oil, like 5W20, should help economy a little. (In the US, most newer cars have 5W20 or lighter viscosity oil spec'ed in order to get better EPA fuel economy ratings). Not worth it IMO, same with eco tires. Get a Prius!

In my experience, high octane gas isn't a big fuel saver.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as mechanical fixes, there is probably a small benefit from running low rolling resistance "eco" tires and higher tire pressures. The spash guard should be installed under the car for good under-car aero. Any check engine lights?

Also light oil, like 5W20, should help economy a little. (In the US, most newer cars have 5W20 or lighter viscosity oil spec'ed in order to get better EPA fuel economy ratings). Not worth it IMO, same with eco tires. Get a Prius!

In my experience, high octane gas isn't a big fuel saver.
I guess I'm looking for a quick fix and that doesn't exist. I currently purchased Dunlop standard 17 inch tyres, maybe that is a factor because these vehicles came out with same spec Goodyear tyres. All other suggestions are appreciated from the forum members above.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess I'm looking for a quick fix and that doesn't exist. I currently purchased Dunlop standard 17 inch tyres, maybe that is a factor because these vehicles came out with same spec Goodyear tyres. All other suggestions are appreciated from the forum members above.
You did experience roughly -10% loss in efficiency since your car was serviced. Was anything else done besides the oil change and spark plugs. I am thinking either a thicker oil was put in or the spark plugs weren't gapped properly. Also check your tire pressures, I think it's stated in the gas fill lid that 36psi is the recommended pressure for fuel efficiency. I set my tires to that before going on a 6000km road trip and I averaged 7.4L/100km (almost entirely highway).

·
Registered
594 Posts

If you know there is something that is not right, you can see an improvement by fixing that. You could get one of those OBD-II readers and check the operating temperature and fuel trim and see if anything jumps out at you. If you can run hotter, that might improve economy a little. There are communities of hypermilers who seek out higher fuel economy through driving techniques and mods. Might check that out.

I think you can gain a little in fuel economy, both in aero and quicker warmups, by blocking out part of the grille. But there's a risk of overheating with that.

Make sure you're not carrying extra weight in the car - I think there are a lot of little things that you can do that might add up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You did experience roughly -10% loss in efficiency since your car was serviced. Was anything else done besides the oil change and spark plugs. I am thinking either a thicker oil was put in or the spark plugs weren't gapped properly. Also check your tire pressures, I think it's stated in the gas fill lid that 36psi is the recommended pressure for fuel efficiency. I set my tires to that before going on a 6000km road trip and I averaged 7.4L/100km (almost entirely highway).
Nothing else was changed except the recommended oil use on this part of the world I'd Castrol magnatec 5w 30. Will check tyre pressure tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you know there is something that is not right, you can see an improvement by fixing that. You could get one of those OBD-II readers and check the operating temperature and fuel trim and see if anything jumps out at you. If you can run hotter, that might improve economy a little. There are communities of hypermilers who seek out higher fuel economy through driving techniques and mods. Might check that out.

I think you can gain a little in fuel economy, both in aero and quicker warmups, by blocking out part of the grille. But there's a risk of overheating with that.

Make sure you're not carrying extra weight in the car - I think there are a lot of little things that you can do that might add up.
No real weight issues. I travel mostly alone on the vehicle. Will look into a OBD reader and see what cooking under the hood. It's a start and maybe I uncover something not that obvious to the naked eye. I do find that the DSC also increases fuel consumption but I manage to disengage that everytime I drive the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In all honesty, 450 km from a tank, if my math is correct, works out at a shade under 19mpg which is not horribly out of spec for a T5 for city driving

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
In all honesty, 450 km from a tank, if my math is correct, works out at a shade under 19mpg which is not horribly out of spec for a T5 for city driving
+1 there. My 120 mi roundtrip highway commute with 0w-40 oil, ac on, and 800 treadwear tires is repeatably 27MPG highway @ 75-80mph or so.

the DO88 intercooler and silicone intercooler pipes helped out at least 10% if not better.

The I would suggest you check out hypermiling forums for what helps them out to get a good sense of what works and doesn't. The only difference on the turbo side is that you want to recapture as much exhaust energy into the turbine as possible and waste the least as possible. Also like others said, smooth shifting and the lowest RPM's possible (without lugging).

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
These cars do pretty well on the highway but stop-n-go traffic kills the economy. I think it is because of their weight that you have to get moving. I can pull 34 MPG with V50 T5 FWD M66 on the highway (manually calculated). Then speed averages 33 MPH, the economy drops to around 27 MPG and at 27 MPH it drops to around 24 MPG.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the valuable input guys. Appreciate the insight and I guess that the mileage is pretty normal for city driving. I did reach 500km before and was not sure what changed since then but I'm guessing wear and tear plays a huge difference over time. I have a FWD and I know in your neck of the hoods you guys all have AWD...with all things being equal I will test a number of areas as suggested by everyone who contributed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's the driving environment that makes a huge difference. These cars drink a lot when when cold so if you average short trips ~<20 min the consumption will be much higher (especially in the winter) than if you drove longer with warm engine and transmission. As said stop & go kills - but if you can maintain steady speed in high gear, then it's not so bad even in town speeds. With the 5 speed automatic, 5th is something like 1200 rpm at 37 MPH...

If the service made your fuel efficiency lower, it could be higher viscosity oil or wrong spark plugs as others said.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree, the gas mileage on our cars are the worst I've ever experienced, horrible! I do A LOT of city driving in L.A. with the A/C on and by the time the fuel meter hit 1/2 I'm barely at 125 miles from the trip odometer (if lucky). However, freeway mileages are bit better - if you're not stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts