SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this problem when on full throttle and making sharp right turn, I sometimes feel like the engine cuts for a second or so. It happened again today when making a quick lane change on the highway while at full throttle in 4th gear.
It only happens when turning right.
I believe it is fuel related, like the engine is starved of fuel for short amount of time.
It appears wether the tank is full or not, though it might be more pronounced when it is close to empty.
Any idea of what is going on?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the same issue. Going down the road and a split second of no gas to the engine feel. New fuel filter, fuel injectors cleaned about 30k miles ago. Odd feeling.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the DTSC senses enough wheel spin it will actually cut out cylinders like when a rev limiter or launch control kicks in, been there done that many times until I reduce or disable the system.

If you are getting on it enough to slip the inside wheel in the turn that may be what you are feeling.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the DTSC senses enough wheel spin it will actually cut out cylinders like when a rev limiter or launch control kicks in, been there done that many times until I reduce or disable the system.

If you are getting on it enough to slip the inside wheel in the turn that may be what you are feeling.
that would not explain why it only happens on right turns and not left turns.
i have also experienced when the DTSC engages and it's not the same feeling.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts

I don't think it cuts fuel, I think it just closes the throttle. Get a DSTC equipped Volvo stuck in the snow and it'll prevent the car from going above about 1.5k RPM.

The R has a saddle tank over the exhaust/propshaft ... Might be a messed up line on one side. Check both level senders in VISA.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the fuel pump for inspection but I don't see anything too obvious.
Here are some pictures:

Nothing looks particularly dirty. I think the fuel pump was replaced about 4 or 5 years ago.
Red valve in the last picture doesn't look obstructed.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a very similar issue, turned out to be debris in the tank getting sucked through the pump and into the fuel line heading from tank to engine, fixed by dropping the tank and flushing it out, new fuel pump and flushing out all the fuel lines. I chased that problem for almost 2 years and replaced all components of the fuel system before finally finding crap in the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all.. My car had the same issue and I replaced the fuel pump. Pain in the butt without the right tool to take the ring off but it fixed the starving issue while turning right and giving it throttle... Now I have to take it out again and see why my gauge only goes up to half when full. I bet the float is hitting the hose.. fuuuun fun...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emptied completely the tank and cleaned it. Could it be the fuel line from the driver side of the tank, since the problem only occurs when turning right. How do you check fuel lines? I replaced the engine in March along with a new fuel filter.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In case someone had the same problem. Removing and cleaning the fuel pump did solve the problem. I think the cause was some small debris that prevented the valve shown on post 8 to close properly. Cleaning it was enough to restore proper operation.
When reinstalling the driver side access panel, the seal was probably not set properly. After filling the tank I found that gasoline was coming seeping there. Fortunately I was able to find out before I had reassemble everything. If you ever do this you may want to fill up the tank and test for leaks before reinstalling the cover plates and the seats.
To reopen the tank and place the seal correctly, I had to empty again the fuel tank, enough to open the lid which was quite a pain with a full tank. It would have been much easier to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
For those with VIDA/DICE, it never hurts to do a little logging of the fuel pump duty cycle on a run up through the power band and gears to make sure that the pump isn't trying to max itself out to supply maximum flow. For example, even at max output my duty cycle doesn't go over 78%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts