Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One family owned since new.
Just about to hit 165,000 miles.
Regularly serviced at Nordic Motors in Redwood City

Mods:
IPD sway bars
FSD eibach kit (less than 5,000 miles on new suspension) All new strut/shock mounts
Full 3" exhaust fabricated by CJ Yother (exhaust still sounds mean but is not as pretty as it once was)
ARD Green tune (hasn't given me any problems)
Rare European 850 wood steering wheel with fully functional airbag
OEM strut bar
OEM Jewel Headlamps with matching corners (purchased new, recently installed)
R bumper with wiper plugs (recently installed)
17x7.5 Diamond black BBS RG-R forged wheels with Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3 tires (tires have plenty of life left)

Good: The car feels better than most s/v70s that I've driven. In fact, it feels better than the V70R I picked as its replacement (have a bunch of suspension upgrades on the way which I hope will change that) Lots of power and is a pleasure to drive despite the following.......

The bad:
Check engine light recently came on, my mechanic wrote down the code, will update tomorrow.
Air conditioner is finicky. On good days it blows ice cold, other days it's better to just leave it off.
Steering wheel is a bit squeaky
Antenna doesn't retract all the time
Early in its life the s70 was involved in an accident where I rear ended a Jeep (replaced hood, fenders, lights). Unfortunately, the bodyshop replaced the hood with an aftermarket unit. No frame damage, but the front end needs an oem hood and some fine adjustments to achieve a perfect fit and finish (see link for photos)
Has an aftermarket cat, depending where you go, could fail visual inspection. The car failed smog testing until I had the new cat installed.
Other issues: Front passenger door doesn't open from the outside. Other miscellaneous issues, please see photos in link.

Woah, not good to have a bad list outnumbering the good, but I want to be as honest as possible. Come test drive the car and it will make you smile and forget the bad. Great car for someone who works on the car themselves. Not so great if you plan to have a mechanic work on it (these cars are expensive to maintain in the Bay Area)

Got questions or would like to check it out in person, feel free to message me. Thanks for looking.
Brian

http://brianhanchang.com/1998-Volvo-S70-t-5-for-sale

·
Registered
282 Posts
Brian,

I sent you an email and left a voicemail. Up until 11pm usually on the west coast.

Thanks,

JP

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked this out today. Very nice car and a very nice guy.
Nice to meet you Steve. Thanks for running the OBII check on my car.

The code turns out to be 0172, system too rich, bank 2. Also, while inspecting the car it was determined that PVC system needs to be serviced.

Will be taking the car to see if it can still pass smog. If not, it may become a parts car (which is a shame as it drives very well).

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm happy to report that I purchased this car on Saturday 9/24 and drove it back to it's new home in WA over the weekend. The car ran great and got 26mpg (on the dot; checked after three fillups). I'm looking forward to using this as my daily driver, once it gets registered here and I take care of the PCV service.

My friend and co-driver Chuck and I both took 6am flights (me from Seattle, Chuck from Portland), arriving in San Jose around 8am. Brian was very kind to meet us at the airport, where we did the paperwork, and he Ubered his way home and we drove straight north from there (saving us about an hour if we had given him a ride home since his house was the opposite direction from our destination - thanks again Brian). We hit a nearby Walmart for some fluids (for both the car and occupants), and made it to Chuck's house east of Portland right before midnight. I completed the final 5 hour trip this morning to my place east of Seattle.

I'll start a new thread at some point if I can find the time and figure out the picture posting/hosting.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm happy to report that I purchased this car on Saturday 9/24 and drove it back to it's new home in WA over the weekend. The car ran great and got 26mpg (on the dot; checked after three fillups). I'm looking forward to using this as my daily driver, once it gets registered here and I take care of the PCV service.

My friend and co-driver Chuck and I both took 6am flights (me from Seattle, Chuck from Portland), arriving in San Jose around 8am. Brian was very kind to meet us at the airport, where we did the paperwork, and he Ubered his way home and we drove straight north from there (saving us about an hour if we had given him a ride home since his house was the opposite direction from our destination - thanks again Brian). We hit a nearby Walmart for some fluids (for both the car and occupants), and made it to Chuck's house east of Portland right before midnight. I completed the final 5 hour trip this morning to my place east of Seattle.

I'll start a new thread at some point if I can find the time and figure out the picture posting/hosting.
nice buy, awesome when long distance car buys work out smoothly, I've been on both ends as a buyer, but most have. Sweet car

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice buy! Good story, too.
I wished I could have made more of a proper forum post about it, with some scenic pictures from along the way. But being as we wanted to make it back to WA on the same day, we elected to maximize our on-road time.

I was doing some fitup of the turbo heat shield last night that I got at a pick-n-pull yesterday morning (this car, being from CA, still has that secondary air valve that dumps right into the downpipe, so I either have to remove that or slot the shield to install it), and I noticed that the car already has an 'R' exhaust manifold on it - sweet! Brian built this car very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts