SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight I decided it would be a swell idea to take my front winglets off of the caR. I've been in touch with the folks at APR Performance and I'm cooking up something that I've never seen on an R, but anyway, they needed a tracing of the front bumper on some cardboard and have it mailed to them.

Got all the rivets out no sweat, and the winglets came off the car exposing a ton of adhesive tape or latex or something that was meant to keep the things on in the first place.

Now me, being the sensible guy ;) I used my trusty heat gun and warmed up the tape/satan and decided to give a go trying to peel it off...

Here are the results.. just tell me I didn't rip any paint off please :(

... and the last picture features my water bottle not a giant gouge in the paint lol

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You definitely ripped off some paint brother...

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely ripped off some paint brother...

sweet, awesome :mad:

Anyone have an idea of what a decent quote would be getting this mess cleaned up? I only removed the tape on one side.

·
Registered
536 Posts
At this point I would just put the winglets back on and call it a day. Easily a couple hundred minimum to get the bumper painted.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's okay, I've got some new 4c rears I need to get off my hands I'm letting go in the classifieds soon

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's going to be a pain to clean that up. When you rip paint off in chunks like that, it has to be re-leveled again. Expect some labor.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just dont understand why it happened. That may sound stupid but people talk about removing winglets all the time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just dont understand why it happened. That may sound stupid but people talk about removing winglets all the time.
Whoever previously put the winglets on used some kind of super strong adhesive.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best day ever :partywave:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quoted at 900 for paint correction for my existing bumper, but I know the body guy I usually go to pretty well, and he's willing to sell me a brand new R bumper for less than that, at like $850. I didn't think this would be that expensive :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,562 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks hound, Any idea what I should expect for shipping, though? My guy is getting it no charge.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you call and order through tasca they can have it drop shipped from volvo. But that's only if you call of you just order it off the website they will email you asking for more to ship

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
called the place Hound listed, they did not answer, so we'll see how that goes. I'll check out tasca next.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tasca shipping is 207 dollars, which would put me over my pricepoint by a lot. The place that Hound linked would end up being 822 which is a bit better than what the local guy can get it to me for.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question, how hard is it to take the headlamp wipers off for an install?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Easy peasy. Just flip up the end and undo the nut then they pull right off

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Maybe ask your local stealership?

If I'm not mistaken the headlamp wipers are just held on with a nut.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts