SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried doing a search on the site but I couldn't find any info regarding this.

I'm getting some rust bubbling buildup on my 2004 S60 R on the windshield trim moulding right at the front near the connection of the hood. So right at the windsheild wiper/firewall area. I've actually consulted a Volvo tech at the dealership and he said that the trim is purely cosmetic and won't affect the windshield at all. Although it's cosmetic, I'd like to get rid of the rust as it's sort of an eyesore. He quoted me about $700 USD for the trim alone not including the repaint cost.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could simply just remove the trim, sand it down, fill whatever I would need and repaint the trim again.

Any ideas on how to remove this piece and if you are experiencing the same thing with your cars? ?
Pictures below.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hmm always thought that piece was plastic.. but must have some metal strip inside

You could sand it down, Primer it, Repaint

or just buy a new strip pre-painted from the dealer its around $110 last time I checked at tasca

Anybody know is there is any warranty on this?

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I was thinking about doing myself. Shouldn't be that hard, but I would need to remove it from the car first simply because there is a rubber gasket sort of thing covering the rest of the trim of the affected area.

Anyone have any idea how to remove this piece?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Front Windshield Trim Rust (DevolvR)

Those trim pieces come painted. You should check prices online, $700 is

They are attached with clips that break easily. Bend the strip a bit on the roof section, look under it and you get the idea how to remove.

The trim has an aluminum strip inside and it dents very easily and is almost impossible to bend back into shape once it happens.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Front Windshield Trim Rust (Mika)

Quote, originally posted by Mika »
Those trim pieces come painted. You should check prices online, $700 is

They are attached with clips that break easily. Bend the strip a bit on the roof section, look under it and you get the idea how to remove.

The trim has an aluminum strip inside and it dents very easily and is almost impossible to bend back into shape once it happens.

OK, MySwedishParts.com carry this part and it comes painted for $115 for the front trims. Might be worth the trouble, although it's likely I would need to purchase extra clips incase any break when I remove the rusted one. Time to dig up that bone tool!

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: (Cjones16)

I have the same annoying issue and Volvo will not warranty it, trust me I have tried...HARD!
Funny how you are local as well!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: (lowenhart)

I thought the car has a 12 year rust perforation warranty; or is that just on the major body panels?

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by lowenhart »
I have the same annoying issue and Volvo will not warranty it, trust me I have tried...HARD!
Funny how you are local as well!

lol I think this might be a common problem... The dealership tech was saying the same thing and he clearly stated that it's not covered under warranty as it's purely cosmetic.. or something along those lines.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: (DevolvR)

Quote, originally posted by DevolvR »

lol I think this might be a common problem... The dealership tech was saying the same thing and he clearly stated that it's not covered under warranty as it's purely cosmetic.. or something along those lines.

Yup, I got the same response from multiple dealers, service advisors, service managers, sales managers in Toronto.

I made a big fuss out of it afterwards and still no one could do anything as it is Volvo Canada themselves that says yay or nay.

The same goes for the peeling black paint coming off of the intercooler.

Henry

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by lowenhart »

Yup, I got the same response from multiple dealers, service advisors, service managers, sales managers in Toronto.

I made a big fuss out of it afterwards and still no one could do anything as it is Volvo Canada themselves that says yay or nay.

The same goes for the peeling black paint coming off of the intercooler.

Henry

Yep, I'm getting that too off the front Black Intercooler of the dual (of a pathetic) setup. I don't mind that as much as I'll likely either sand it down with the front bumper removed or get the whole thing replaced with an FMIC instead. Henry, you have a black sapphire so it's not as noticeable as mine, I'll likely get the parts from volvowholesaleparts.com/myswedishparts.com and I'll let you know as to how I installed them.

Btw, it was Volvo Unionville that quoted me $780 CAD, I was disgusted with his attitude; "It's only cosmetic! won't break the windshield or anything"
and gave me the silent treatment afterwards. Obviously he didn't give a sh!t...

Alfred

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

Yep, I'm getting that too off the front Black Intercooler of the dual (of a pathetic) setup. I don't mind that as much as I'll likely either sand it down with the front bumper removed or get the whole thing replaced with an FMIC instead. Henry, you have a black sapphire so it's not as noticeable as mine, I'll likely get the parts from volvowholesaleparts.com/myswedishparts.com and I'll let you know as to how I installed them.

Btw, it was Volvo Unionville that quoted me $780 CAD, I was disgusted with his attitude; "It's only cosmetic! won't break the windshield or anything"

Alfred

LOL, I was quoted $150 for each front trim at Volvo of Toronto and Roberts Volvo. (the trim is not one piece) I sanded my intercooler down and lightly coated it with silver paint years ago, and it looks sharp!

Take your car to Volvo of Toronto for service if you don't have a good place already, Francis is my service advisor and tell him I sent you, trust me, its worth the drive both in cost, quality and service. They are very familiar with the R.

Henry

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Henry http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Will definitely visit Volvo of Toronto (it's closer) and see if they can help me there.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Paint code is 455. I drive an SR, and they only come in a handful of colors.

Heres your part numbers They are $98 at Tasca

39992609 - Left
39992624 - Right

3 Style Clips
Type 1 - 30678009 - You need 6 (Goes from bottom of windshield up, 3 per side)
Type 2 - 9190981 - You need 1? (Vadis only should QTY - 1.. One per side?)
Type 3 - 8622906 - You need 14

Chris

·
Registered
535 Posts

Who is your advisor at unvionville? Mine is Cynthia - she does not dick around with me - knows better. Who usually works on your car? All the major ones are done by kenny (the foreman). he was the one who also solved my AWD problems.

I heard good things about robert motors and mississauga volvo service.

Any one heard of Hamilton car repairs in Guelph? They ONLY do volvos and have TONS of s70/v70/850s on their lot that are junked - you can get tons of parts there. I am going to take my s60 there for my next oil changed and see how they do.

Alfred

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote »

Who is your advisor at unvionville? Mine is Cynthia - she does not dick around with me - knows better. Who usually works on your car? All the major ones are done by kenny (the foreman). he was the one who also solved my AWD problems.
I heard good things about robert motors and mississauga volvo service.

Any one heard of Hamilton car repairs in Guelph? They ONLY do volvos and have TONS of s70/v70/850s on their lot that are junked - you can get tons of parts there. I am going to take my s60 there for my next oil changed and see how they do

I dont' have an advisor at Unionville, that's why I got the sh!t quote. Anyway, I just recently got this car and I can piggy back my dad's advisor if I ever needed to(yes, he has a c30). But looks like if i get it from Tasco on a DIY option or getting it done from Volvo of Toronto would be the other 2 options...

·
Registered
227 Posts

It is a very small area. If it is not on the whole trim I would just tape it off, scrape, sand, and paint right on the car with a drop cloth over it. Those tabs are going to break if you remove it and it would be less than $200 or whatever the new ones will cost you. I suppose you would have to be fairly confident in your painting skill. I did that with all of my bumper and side trim (2002 with black plastic trim) and it turned out great.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a very small area. If it is not on the whole trim I would just tape it off, scrape, sand, and paint right on the car with a drop cloth over it. Those tabs are going to break if you remove it and it would be less than $200 or whatever the new ones will cost you. I suppose you would have to be fairly confident in your painting skill. I did that with all of my bumper and side trim (2002 with black plastic trim) and it turned out great.
Just an update to this, just for clarification, I COULD NOT paint this even after trying several times. The trim is actually Aluminum with a rubber coating, and for whatever reason the rubber coating started wearing away at the edge of the trim, causing the aluminum to oxidize and bubble. When aluminum oxidizes, it becomes a powder. The only way you can fix this is sand/grind it all the way to non-oxidized aluminum and then use an aluminum sealer. Then filler and repaint.

For the amount of effort, I opted to buy the trims instead at $100 a piece.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.