SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an intermittent problem with the driver side front window. While the window works fine much of the time, occasionally when closing, it will go back down unless the switch is held in the up position. It's a pretty position-sensitive issue: If the switch is released at any point except at the window's exact apogee, it will go back down. The incidence of this happening seems to be increasing.

My guess would be the controller starting to fail, but a search of the forum didn't seem to turn up any specific information.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Hall sensor in the window regulator gets out of sync, I've had to recalibrate maybe 5 times over two cars and 14 years. First time was in 2008, dealer tried to reset the window via VIDA, ended up using exactly the same process that's in the Sticky.

** Description from VIDA courtesy of another post-

The window lift mechanisms have a hall sensor which measures the rotation speed of each lift mechanism, allowing the mechanisms to determine the position of the window. If a Hall sensor is not functioning in one of the window lift mechanisms, the AUTO-UP or AUTO-DOWN function for that window is not available. In all the doors the power window lift mechanism, power window lift motor and Hall sensor and control module form one unit and cannot be replaced separately.

The window lift mechanisms in all the doors have an inbuilt function to prevent trapping. When AUTO-UP is activated, the window lift mechanism detects whether there is any resistance, i.e. whether too much force is required to close the window. If so, the window stops and then lowers slightly. The anti-trapping system is active during AUTO-UP if the window is open more than 3 mm.

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thanks a million Masscomguru - the thread you linked to did not come up in my searches.

This forum is a great resource and frankly, I don't know how I'd keep things working on my XC90 without it.
no problem. I have to do this on mine too today so it was a fresh look up for me also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts