SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my front strut tower brace in from Boston Volvo. question for people who did this, while it seems like a real simple piece bar with 4 holes and 4 bolts. Is there anything required for the installation? raise vehical ? remove front wheels? torque ? etc. I never removed top strut bolts without raising vehicle , removing wheels , not sure if this is necessary . want to do this right the first time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just need a torque wrench. No raising, no removal of anything (except the stock bolts). Remove them one at a time and replace them with the new ones as you go; throw on the brace, torque it down using the provided nuts and wala! Check it after putting some miles on there to make sure there's no movement or anything stripping the threads.. there shouldn't be.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I forget exactly (invoice is at home) but I believe it totals somewhere around $130.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: (davidklaw)

Took me all of 10 min. to install when I did it.. Do not take all the bolts out at once one at a time. torque should be 29nm.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Re: (V50_T5)

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »
thanks, for all the help. I will do this tomorrow. I don't have a deep 20 mm ,
I paid $126 shipped from Boston Volvo.

126? my dealership quoted me about 68 for the whole setup including bolts etc

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: Front Tower Brace instalation??? (V50_T5)

what are the benefits of having a front strut tower brace? Is there any noticeable difference in handling? If there's is, I'm ordering one:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: Front Tower Brace instalation??? (s40turbo585)

make sur eu dont overtorque the nuts. i think recommended is around 24nm.

i would definitely recommend it if you havent got one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Front Tower Brace instalation??? (Mistral)

Two past topics:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=37761

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=51102

Anyway, in brief, the strut tower brace should theoretically help the two front wheel/tire combinations share torque load, so they should help each other stay more perpendicular to the road in hard turns. That helps getting maximum cornering force. Also, since the towers share loads, it helps from what I've heard incrementally the longevity of the metal that comprises the towers, which bends! Also, it adds stiffness, which generally should make the car that much more responsive / less sloshy.

I've heard, though, that this brace is most effective when it is triangulated to the firewall. Volvo's brace is not. Nor is the one from SAM.

Can I tell a difference? Not sure. SEEMS like the steering is a bit sharper, but it's already excellent on V50/S40. My every day driving is not particularly exciting, so I do not get much chance to drive the car hard. Still, I pay particular attention to the steering, and it seems like the bar did make the car respond a BIT quicker. But I admit I could be imagining it!

Anyway, it's cheap and easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts