SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've lost two of the front toy eye cap/covers in different carwashes. Both were the touch-style washes which I know are not ideal. Has anybody else dealt with this? The cover appears to clip in correctly and feels pretty well attached, then *poof* it's gone. The first place was willing to pay for replacement, but they were not happy when they saw the price: $30 parts, $50 paint at the local Volvo authorized body shop. Second place straight refused which I don't fault them for.

I'm hesitant to glue in the cover since this car may end up being on a tow truck at some point and I'd rather not risk paint damage trying to undo my adhesive.
Does everyone else pop theirs out before washing?
Should I just stick to hand washes?

2018 V90 inscription

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Please don’t glue it. I have never lost one in a car wash (and have been through hundreds of them) but I have had loose covers before and have lost one or two during trips.

When you put them on, are they snug? In other words, once you replace a cover, does it feel wiggly? Can you pry it open with your nails? If it’s very snug (meaning you would need something pointy to put in the release slot to release) it should not come off with a car wash (any car wash).

Finally, have you lost both in two different car washes or in the same car wash?

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
The older models have a tether that is attached to the toe hook cover. You might try something like that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please don’t glue it. I have never lost one in a car wash (and have been through hundreds of them) but I have had loose covers before and have lost one or two during trips.

When you put them on, are they snug? In other words, once you replace a cover, does it feel wiggly? Can you pry it open with your nails? If it’s very snug (meaning you would need something pointy to put in the release slot to release) it should not come off with a car wash (any car wash).

Finally, have you lost both in two different car washes or in the same car wash?

there is a tiny bit of rotational wiggle once installed. feels very solid pushing inwards from anywhere on the face. Attempting to remove the cap per the manual's method would take an uncomfortable amount of force.

two different carwashes, but they are both the same style. The kind with the track to pull the car through a mess of brushes and fabric strips. Very rough on the car.

The older models have a tether that is attached to the toe hook cover. You might try something like that.
that would be nice. I wonder what Volvo's logic was to omit the tether.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i think they not sitting well i lost 2 on my s90 and both while driving front and back.. I was gong to work no stops i left home with it i came to work without it. How i know i have cameras in my house and my job so when i checked cameras at home cover was on when i came to work it was already off. I showed that to the dealer and they replaced it for me free of charge . If you have pearl white color i have few front once for s90. Painted that color.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's ripping trim pieces out of the bumper, imagine how nice it's being the rest of your paint.
yeah, I'm not much of a detail guy. I view the car are strictly functional so being rough on the paint in the short term is OK in my book.

i think they not sitting well i lost 2 on my s90 and both while driving front and back.. I was gong to work no stops i left home with it i came to work without it. How i know i have cameras in my house and my job so when i checked cameras at home cover was on when i came to work it was already off. I showed that to the dealer and they replaced it for me free of charge . If you have pearl white color i have few front once for s90. Painted that color.
I'm sort of relieved I'm not alone, but I hate for others to suffer. Since the first came out I've been checking the cover is still present by looking at the car's reflection while sitting in traffic. I do have pearl white paint and installed my last spare cover so my car is whole as of now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts