SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any ideas what is causing this chipping of the edge of tire tread. It goes around the entire diameter of the tire. The other tires don't have this. The tire has 35K miles. The struts are less than 3 years old (~40K miles), LCA's about a 2 years ago. The car drives nice and tight with a slight pull and a little bearing noise.

Tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive tire Auto part Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
These cars have notorious inner tire wear especially in the rear, maybe be due for an alignment.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Inner shoulder wear is usually and exclusively bad LCA's.
OEM design (replicated throughout all of the aftermarkets too) is a rubber and hydraulic bushing inserted into the steel case. Once that rubber bursts, the remaining structure weakens quite fast. Hence the severe inner shoulder wear. I'd get Meyle HD replacements in the future as theirs are made of pure rubber, and they are the only ones to change the OEM design.

The chipping is not common in the slightest - I would have to put that on the tires - coupled with the bad lca's. If you look closely in between the treads there is cracking. What's the manufacture date on your tires? Combined with ABQ's weather I'd say they aren't going to make the "10 year" life of any tire after it's made. Even more so given how ABQ is desert.

After you get new units I'd get an alignment - the rear's tend to cause an uneven wear to a minor degree, but you can easily hit the weardown strips on all of them before the inner shoulder is smooth like it is in your image. Also - alignments are usually done to aim you to the right - that way if you pass out ona straight road you'll go off to the side of the road, so that's normal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any ideas what is causing this chipping of the edge of tire tread. It goes around the entire diameter of the tire. The other tires don't have this. The tire has 35K miles. The struts are less than 3 years old (~40K miles), LCA's about a 2 years ago. The car drives nice and tight with a slight pull and a little bearing noise.

View attachment 50639 View attachment 50641
Please do not ignore the fact that this tire has completely worn out (on the shoulder). Next you will be seeing steel reinforcement. I'm about 99.9% sure that the bearing noise you hear is coming from this tire. Once replaced it will completely go away.

I had this bearing noise with tires that were completely worn exactly like this and it disappeared after they were replaced. I am not exactly sure what causes this failure mode. My current tires are going bald evenly through the tread width. +1 on you may need realignment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Please do not ignore the fact that this tire has completely worn out (on the shoulder). Next you will be seeing steel reinforcement. I'm about 99.9% sure that the bearing noise you hear is coming from this tire. Once replaced it will completely go away.

I had this bearing noise with tires that were completely worn exactly like this and it disappeared after they were replaced. I am not exactly sure what causes this failure mode. My current tires are going bald evenly through the tread width. +1 on you may need realignment.
Also check that it is not rubbing against anything in the suspension:)

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
P1 lower control arms should be changed like your oil. Complete economy FoMoCo bean counter design.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked my records.

LCA's were replaced Jan '18 at 116K miles with Lemforder from FCP Euro. That is only 25K miles. I don't feel any play in them and don't see cracks.

Alignment/balance/rotate was Jan '19 but I know it only takes one good pothole on the B/W Parkway.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
How old are the tires? I've seen 5 year old tires start to crumble.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Just checked my records.

LCA's were replaced Jan '18 at 116K miles with Lemforder from FCP Euro. That is only 25K miles. I don't feel any play in them and don't see cracks.

Alignment/balance/rotate was Jan '19 but I know it only takes one good pothole on the B/W Parkway.
You don't feel any play - as in you got under there with a crowbar and tried to move them? I tried with my hands and I couldn't, but I put an 8" tire bar on them and they moved an easy 1/4".
Also you got under there with a flashlight and inspected them for metal center - to - metal exterior rubbing (shiny) points?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't feel any play - as in you got under there with a crowbar and tried to move them? I tried with my hands and I couldn't, but I put an 8" tire bar on them and they moved an easy 1/4".
Also you got under there with a flashlight and inspected them for metal center - to - metal exterior rubbing (shiny) points?
I test drove a '08 V50 that had issues, including bad LCA bushings. With the car on the ground I could move the wheel about 1/2" with my hands.

I'm going to go to the tire shop to have it checked. Maybe they will determine it is a defect and pro-rate a tire for me. I should replace it anyway.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
How old are the tires? I've seen 5 year old tires start to crumble.
Installed May '17. They have 37K miles.
Yes, but what is the date of tread? It should be a 4 digit code stamped into the sidewall I.E. 0416 which indicates the week and year of manufacturing. I just threw out a set of new tires at the dealship I worked at because they were 10 years old. Your tire(s) could have been made many years before you installed them.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These were one month old when installed if I recall. They are Michelin Pilot AS3+ and were only out for about a year before I got them.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The alignment was out.

Front Left Caster = 2.7
Front Right Caster = 2.5
Front Left Camber = -1.0
Front Right Camber = -1.2
Front Left Toe = -0.25
Front Right Toe = +0.25

Still I had not seen this kind of chipping before and neither did they. If it is a defect, the tires have enough nominal wear at 37K miles that I wouldn't get any real reimbursement. Bottom line, the car needed another alignment and I need new tires very soon.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
What did they set the toe to? You want the minimum possible toe-in indicated in the spec, it greatly reduces front inner wear, and it really perks up the steering.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure. They gave me the wrong printout afterwards. These tires need to be replaced soon. I'll have them realign when I get new tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts