1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 2.5T needs the front end revived. The symptoms are:

- Doesn’t rebound from bumps
- bumps hit harshly. Or bottoming but feels like there’s no give

What components should I have replaced? Is it just the dampers or some bushings or more?

TIA

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 2004 2.5T needs the front end revived. The symptoms are:

- Doesn’t rebound from bumps
- bumps hit harshly. Or bottoming but feels like there’s no give

What components should I have replaced? Is it just the dampers or some bushings or more?

TIA
Is everything original? I had the same symptoms and I could hear the strut compressing. I had the original strut...lol.

If so, I would bite the bullet and do everything; the struts (w/new mounts and seat); lower control arms, ball joint and tie rods (inner/outer).

I did all the above (only front) over the last 3 months and also installed the IPD subframe poly inserts. The drive is 95% better, but I do regret not installing tie rods. I think that will make it 100% better; will have to do it next month. My lifetime alignment policy that I bought has paid for itself this year.

IIRC, I paid $150 for the IPD Control Arm/Ball Joint kit; $275 for FCPEuro 6 piece kit (strut/mount/seat). I posted some stuff earlier about the Lemforder mounts I got with the kit.My passenger side was squeaky and was getting worse; I had to buy another mount and seat. From what I researched, the Lemforder mounts seemed to be the issue. Thankfully FCPEuro refunded the mount/seat.

While your there, I would also check your sway bar end links. Might as well do those too, those are only $40/pair.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The must do items will be the struts and the spring seats. Sachs has a kit for these but be aware that these struts are not the best quality. Sachs seats are fine
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-strut-kit-front-4-piece-xc90-kit-p2xc90strtkt2p4#fitment

Save your original top bearing plates, they should still be good unless they are rough to turn or eaten by rust. Aftermarket ones are questionable at this moment

As above, you may want to inspect other components around, especially the end links (sway bar links) and the control arm bushings - especially the rear one, turn the wheels and jack one side, see how the small rear bushing looks like. Local Volvo may be selling and pressing in genuine bushings (cheaper and better than aftermarket). Ball joints only Lemforder

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Control arms from Tasca Volvo. Ball joints, struts, etc. from FCPEuro.com or RMEuropean.com. May want to add tie rods, sway bar end links, and bushings.

I did the job on a friend of a friend's V70 last year at the same time a local shop was doing the track/street alignment on my 1 series. I gave them the dead strut/spring setup and the new strut, bearing etc. For $65 they compressed the old springs and installed them with the new hardware. I felt better putting a sachs strut in than using the preassembled kit. Of course the she demolished the car a few months later. We tried to help someone get back on her feet. oh well.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you want a really sweet front end set-up, I suggest using Chitown V's write-up as a guide to component selection in whole or part.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...build-upgrade-using-OEM-amp-aftermarket-parts

I have driven his XC90 and can attest to the improvement his front end suspension and steering has compared to Volvo's stock set-up.
It steers, delivers tire and road feedback through the steering wheel, tracks, and manages bumps and road imperfections more like a BMW.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I think I’ll do the complete refresh as a couple suggested. The 2004 is t worth much but it’s worth it to rest the front suspension from a safety and ride quality perspective especially since my daughter drives it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts