SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi to All of you, I am from Canada, own a 2010 s80 V8. Last week I had to go to the stealer (Dealer) for an engine heating problem......640$ for changing the expansion tank cap (the "O" ring was dead. That said, they advised me that the front subframe was "corroded", in fact, there is a huge hole on it making the possibility of the engine of falling to the ground or worst....ROAD !

I made a complaint to Transport Canada, and to my full surprised they contacted me. They came to my place to make technical and engineering expertise on the subframe. Any of you had a similar problem ??

They probably ask to Volvo Canada to make a safety recall........in probably a year......so MAKE SURE to check yours

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
If it's less than 12 years service life (you're right on the edge by model year) it might be under warranty yet. In the US we have a 12 year rust through warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. S80 8 2007 with 165k. My mechanic suggested to get the front subframe reinforced with welded steel plates. Let me know if I can join the claim with Transport Canada. I was about to go to a body shop to fix this issue. Please contact me [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Is the car over 12 years old? If not then I'd reach out to Volvo as you have done. I mean, FWIW, our attitude towards dealers doesn't seem all that great, so IDK what your relationship with them is or how often you go in, but that looks like a problem that's been a hole for awhile, I'd think the dealer should have caught it before unless you aren't going in there often. Not that it should affect a warranty claim at all if it's under 12 years. But it's also possible the car is over 12 years old if it was sold very early in the model year, so then you'd be out of luck, though if it had been caught earlier they could have done something about it. Old cars rusting out is not a typically recall issue, it's what happens over time and why the warranty is only 12 years.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
This is a known flaw with S80 V8s. VONA will not recall. Best thing to do is contact NHTSA or your country's equivalent.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Yes, unfortunately this is an issue on earlier P3 gen cars - there have been a few posts about it over the years. One member here replaced the subframe. I am keeping a close eye on my P3 though it's pretty early.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the car over 12 years old? If not then I'd reach out to Volvo as you have done. I mean, FWIW, our attitude towards dealers doesn't seem all that great, so IDK what your relationship with them is or how often you go in, but that looks like a problem that's been a hole for awhile, I'd think the dealer should have caught it before unless you aren't going in there often. Not that it should affect a warranty claim at all if it's under 12 years. But it's also possible the car is over 12 years old if it was sold very early in the model year, so then you'd be out of luck, though if it had been caught earlier they could have done something about it. Old cars rusting out is not a typically recall issue, it's what happens over time and why the warranty is only 12 years.

Transport Canada will contact Volvo Canada on behalf of my name.......yes.....T-C is heavier than me !

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
How old is the car? What's the in service date?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same issue here. S80 8 2007 with 165k. My mechanic suggested to get the front subframe reinforced with welded steel plates. Let me know if I can join the claim with Transport Canada. I was about to go to a body shop to fix this issue. Please contact me [email protected]

I sent them your comment Rob......the last option is a welding plate of course, my little issue is this part is made to deform itself in a case of a front collision.........but how .....this is my issue

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
You're dodging the question /-=

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Frantz, I am French Canadian and I don't understand every tech questions time to time........so it is a 2010, and sent it to dealer
Thu, Jun 10 at 11:57 AM

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
In service date is when all warranties begin. It's not based on a model year but when the car was sold. So the day your car was first put in service is when the 12 year warranty started. Being a CEO car there is a decent chance it was a very early in service date and you may be past the 12 year mark. Now if you have been taking it to a dealer and they missed this rust a few months ago while it would still be covered I'd be upset. But if you've been saving a penny doing your own work or taking it to a third party, then that's sorta on yourself. That's some pretty bad rust that didn't just go through the metal yesterday and a dealer should have seen it and gotten it addressed while it was under warranty if it had been in their shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In service date is when all warranties begin. It's not based on a model year but when the car was sold. So the day your car was first put in service is when the 12 year warranty started. Being a CEO car there is a decent chance it was a very early in service date and you may be past the 12 year mark. Now if you have been taking it to a dealer and they missed this rust a few months ago I'd be upset while it would still be covered. But if you've been saving a penny doing your own work or taking it to a third party, then that's sorta on yourself. That's some pretty bad rust that didn't just go through the metal yesterday and a dealer should have seen it and gotten it addressed while it was under warranty if it had been in their shop.

Thank you for those details, last year, I sent my car for the first time at the dealer for the engine belt and tension part including the bearings. This repair is to be done very near where the support is since the hole is on the right side.....did they saw it ?? No Idea.......in regard of all warranties begin......I have no idea, only the dealer can have access to this info........Transport Canada can force Volvo to make a safety recall since this is the kind of corroded part can be a "public" issue.....the T-C guy who came is an engineer (mechanical) and he never saw this part so corroded......the rest of the car has no......no rust on the outside, always took care with 3M product......voilà

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,556 Posts
Thank you for those details, last year, I sent my car for the first time at the dealer for the engine belt and tension part including the bearings. This repair is to be done very near where the support is since the hole is on the right side.....did they saw it ?? No Idea.......in regard of all warranties begin......I have no idea, only the dealer can have access to this info........Transport Canada can force Volvo to make a safety recall since this is the kind of corroded part can be a "public" issue.....the T-C guy who came is an engineer (mechanical) and he never saw this part so corroded......the rest of the car has no......no rust on the outside, always took care with 3M product......voilà
You don't have maintenance records for the car going back to the very beginning?

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,556 Posts
So what's the first date that the car was ever serviced?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts