SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My front end was making noise going over bumps and slight noise at highway speeds. My indie said the strut bushing at the top was making noise. He said the struts and springs are all fine, but bushing going bad. I was looking at struts and lowering springs and he said no matter what you do, if you go in you have to replace this.

I assume he means this when he says upper strut bushing. He said the noise is coming for the top.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/164...pring-seat-kit-p3-aftermarket-171538-31340606

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-strut-mount-corteco-31340606

Would these be the kits I would use whether it was factory struts or aftermarket? Is there anything else I need to think about parts wise?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Definitely a good replace item. Spend the extra 10 bucks and Get Volvo or OEM Sachs.

I'd also recommend doing your end links because they love to clunk.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Anybody here that can explain me when to change struts. When do you pull the trigger and go for it. Will the difference be noted?
I think Jroo is asking the same in a way.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
437 Posts
leaking, poor dampening, harsh ride. Of the P2/P1s they get very stiff rather than bouncy, wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for P3s

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
How many miles are on the car? If you are replacing the strut mount you are removing the strut, compressing the spring, removing the mount, installing the mount, decompressing the spring, installing the strut, getting the car aligned.

New Sachs struts are about 85 each. If you are going to do it, do it all so you are not taking everything apart in another six months.

·
Registered
273 Posts
What kind of creaking noises are you getting. I am trying to diagnose mine and its almost like when you step on a loose floorboard. its when I give some steering or throttle input that pitch poles the car. I looked at the lowers and all is nice and tight even at my 160k.

I'm also on koni struts i replaced about 15k miles ago.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?407737-V8-Suspension-upgrade

·
Registered
273 Posts
update: so I greased the area of the top struts and the creaking or almost clicking went away on my driver to work. on my drive home it was back. for $70 and some time under the car ill give this a try

·
Registered
193 Posts
The mounts on these cars seem pretty solid to me. I would feel comfortable reusing them. The bearings on the other hand can be an issue. I would replace them to be on the safe side if the strut tower is already disassembled. In regards to creaking noises, make sure your sway bar bushings aren’t the culprit. They make a squeaking rubber on rubber type noise over bumps. The noise is far more noticeable in the cold and very pronounced over speed bumps. Spray them with silicone spray to remedy the noise if it is them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I installed them this passed weekend and a world of a difference the old ones that pulled out didnt seem that bad but all the noise and creaking have disappeared.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed them this passed weekend and a world of a difference the old ones that pulled out didnt seem that bad but all the noise and creaking have disappeared.
How difficult a job was this and will I need to rent a spring compressor? I believe the answer is yes, because once I pull the strut down and unscrew the top bolts, the spring could jump off, correct?

·
Registered
273 Posts
How difficult a job was this and will I need to rent a spring compressor? I believe the answer is yes, because once I pull the strut down and unscrew the top bolts, the spring could jump off, correct?
YES get spring compressor it may be like $50.00 to rent but you get that back when you return in.

The most difficult part is getting the strut and spring assembly in and out of the spindle at the bottom. Even after 20k miles it was pretty tight on my driver side. Soak it well with penetrating fluid. Once you have removed all the brake lines, end links, abs sensor wire, 4C sensor wire, auto leveling headlight bracket, axle bolt, and pinch bolt, get the biggest persuader you have to push the spindle down releasing the strut. (FAILURE to remove those items will result in disaster and an undriveable car in your driveway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts