SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had an ongoing issue with the bottoms of the front strut gaiters coming loose? I reattached them (slipped them back onto the strut cartridge) once and the dealership would only reattach them. I’m concerned that they will be popping off again soon. If the car was out of warantee, I'd probably throw a zip tie on it and may just do it if it pops of another time or two. <p>Hmmmm, I wonder it it'll qualify for the Lemon Law if I bring it back three time and they can't resolve the problem?? <mostly joking><p>Thanks in advance,<p>Jack<p>

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (need4spd)

No need for photos.<p>Look above and directly behind your front tire and inside the spring. There is a rubber/plastic gaiter which should be riding on the top of the wide part of the strut. If you can see the shiny rod, maybe 3/4 to and inch in diameter, you have an issue. That rod and the seal below it, need to be protected from the elements.<p>Jack

·
Registered
421 Posts
The gaiter or bellow should not be permanently attached to the shock absorber body for it will not allow water and moisture to drain out. The bellow's purpose is to protect the shock rod from rocks and dirt that could scratch or pit the rod thus destroying the seal in the shock absorber.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (civster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>civster</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The gaiter or bellow should not be permanently attached to the shock absorber body for it will not allow water and moisture to drain out. The bellow's purpose is to protect the shock rod from rocks and dirt that could scratch or pit the rod thus destroying the seal in the shock absorber.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>OK, I can buy into that, although I'm used to seeing the gaiters atttached on both top and bottom.<p>My issue, as described above is that the gaiter should not get hung up above the top of the cartridge, allowing the bottom of the rod to be visible while the wheels are on the ground. Looking into the wheel well, I could see the (shiny) bottom portion of the rod. If this is visible, the gaiter is not doing it's job.<p>Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts