SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've screwed up my back and shoulders again. A recurring condition originating from an old injury, which raises its ugly head whenever I drive approximately 1k miles or more sitting on a crappy car sear. And that's exactly what best describes the OEM V50 seats. Short leg support, relatively low seat back with no shoulder support to speak of and the T-Tec fabric combined with firm cushions isn't even that comfortable.

I've replaced the seats on a number of cars before, mainly with Recaros (Speed, Sport, SR-D etc.), which seem to have done the trick. However, the V50 is a small car so I don't want to give up too much rear legroom or have the seat too close to (or even rubbing on) B-pillar.

Is there a proven solution, ie. Focus RS seats or the like, that would be more or less bolt-on, with no known clearance issues? I'm about to source complete black leather trim, ie. door panels and rear seats from a wrecker's anyway so not needing to reupholster the fronts to match would be preferred.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Have you tried seats from R-design? I am not sure if they differ physically (except of different upholstery) or was it my imagination, but driving in 2008 Rdesign seating felt better than mine (more sporty and "huggy")
just a thought

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
^ correct they're the same seat cushions as non-rd. 100% agree on the 'dis'comfort of these seats and I would never drive mine 1K, we would drive the '10 S80. I have brand new oem upper/lower driver leather skins that I happened upon on eBay a few years back. I'm finally going to put them on soon since my originals are getting rough, but when I do I'm at least going to buy a new oem foam lower cushion, maybe an upper one too. You may want to try that?

I wonder if any of the P3 seats would work, like from an S60 RD? ProlixArgon would be the person to ask here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hq_, I agree 100% about the V50 seats. little to no support for spirited driving and not all that comfy for looong trips. I sat in Polestar seats in a V60? which felt fabulous. HOWEVER, im not sure they would fit into a V50. aside from the co$t which im sure would be prohibitive.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The previous owner was a proverbial pencil-neck so the wear and tear on upholstery and cushions is minimal. They're in great shape, the problem is that they're crap to start with. I've already looked into installing seats from other cars (the seats on my XC70 are great, the Recaros on my wife's RS6 are fantastic) but most of them are way too big to fit in. The better ones have a thick backrest, too, so they'd kill the rear legroom even if they did otherwise fit.

One consideration is that I'll probably upgrade the suspension later on. Full poly bushing kit + (KW?) coilovers, to go with the engine modifiations. Spirited driving isn't fun unless you have decent lateral support so this is an opportunity to address that problem at the same time. The seats still have to be a compromise between support and comfort, though.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I've tried to sit on them. They're $#!% just like the earlier ones. Thanks for the idea anyway.
No worries.
Huh, I never thought much about the seats though. Always found them comfy enough and much nicer than gen1 s40. Doing 110kms daily and never complained nor thought "jeez, im sore" but maybe after 10x more at once I would.
Have seated in P2 S60 and seats were much bigger/deeper but I though its due to bigger nature of the car...

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
1,027 Posts
I wonder if any of the P3 seats would work, like from an S60 RD? ProlixArgon would be the person to ask here.
Agreed, but does he visit the lowly P1 forum nowadays? OP, you might need to send him a PM. Please update if you hear from him!

BD

'06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Also maybe try the C70 seats, I think they're cushioned a little different with more support but they should be a direct bolt-in.

Or C30 seats? I'd think they'd also be the same as C70 seats due to the 2 doors.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also maybe try the C70 seats
[...]
Or C30 seats?
Thanks for the tip but unfortunately they're pretty much the same as V50 OEM. They're simply too small - my neck and the top of my shoulders are rubbing against the headrest and longitudinal leg support doesn't suffice. Even my daughter who is much shorter than me at 5'10" (it's really her car...) finds them uncomfortable so it's also a serious matter of scale. :(

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
519 Posts
BMW E46 specifically Sport model seats have been my favorite. Adjustable leg support high bolsters, can put it in any odd angle. Though it would take effort and skill to put them in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts