SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am going to test drive the 2016 XC90 this weekend, and I have a couple questions for those who own it:

Does front seat headrest (head restraint) push your head forward too much and hurt your neck?

I have neck and back problems, so I normally sit straight up, like when sitting in front of a computer workstation.
My head also tends to tilt backwards just a little bit when I am resting on a seat/chair. For most new cars in recent years, the headrest always tilt forward with an angle, this pushes my head forward and causes a horrible neck pain. If I lean the seatback backward, the headrest does not push my head anymore, but the arch my upper back creates causes severe back pain. This is a well known complaints from many drivers, if you google it you will find tons of information.

Can someone please share your experience with the headrest? maybe some pictures showing the angles?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I think the headrest on Volvo cars has fixed angle and also not leaning forward. My head only touch it when I lean to the back and relax.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Volvo has the reputation for the most comfortable seats in autodom. But only your test drive will assure you they work for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank everyone for the comments. I am going to test drive it tomorrow and find out if the driver seat works for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Headrest is fixed and cannot move up down and cannot be angled in a different way. I've never even noticed mine bothering me in any way just as an FYI.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems really odd if the headrest were not height adjustable. Also a real safety concern since people of different heights require the headrest to be at different heights.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Swedish design--one application (size) fits most all.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Swedish design--one application (size) fits most all.
I think it's more of a Volvo safety culture thing, leading them to assume that if they give drivers an adjustable headrest they probably won't position it correctly to prevent neck injury.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went to a Volvo dealer today and took a 30+ minutes test drive. Overall I like it very much, unfortunately the headrest is a problem for me.

Although the XC90's front seat headrest is straight-up and not angled, the position is still too far forward. I don't have a permission to attach pictures, otherwise I would show everyone the mock-up of the ideal position.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
So I went to a Volvo dealer today and took a 30+ minutes test drive. Overall I like it very much, unfortunately the headrest is a problem for me.

Although the XC90's front seat headrest is straight-up and not angled, the position is still too far forward. I don't have a permission to attach pictures, otherwise I would show everyone the mock-up of the ideal position.
For pic, you can upload to tinypic.com and put the link here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip, here are the images to demonstrate the positions -

Factory:

Ideal:

You can see although the factory headrest is straight-up, it still positions to the front so it pushes my head forward.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Thanks for the tip, here are the images to demonstrate the positions -

Factory:

Ideal:

You can see although the factory headrest is straight-up, it still positions to the front so it pushes my head forward.
Maybe it is easier to put a pad with the right thickness on the seat back that should be helpful for you.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I actually wish the front headrest could come further forward. But I've been rear-ended pretty badly before, so I want as much whiplash protection as possible.

Also - perhaps re-positioning the lumbar, side bolsters and seat angle will solve your problem - I'll play with mine, maybe that's why I find it's too far-back.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I was thinking the same thing but I don't want to appear skeptical of the ops conditions. I do find that the range of adjustment is so great that it can dramatically alter how my body fits in the seats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts